< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gunproofing Kids  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Cathy1911

• Past Director- Secretary
  • NFOA Co-Founder
Gunproofing Kids
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
I don't have kids, but I recognize a true expert when I see one.

Anyone with children who wants great information on how to gunproof them effectively should read Kathy Jackson's excellent website, The Cornered Cat.

Offline Josh1776

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gunproofing Kids
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »
Thanks for the post. Being A former U.S. Marine I'm comfortable and safe with firearms, but I never owned any of my own until recetly. I have a 3yr old who loves to explore so I'm very cautious to make sure my firearms are locked-up when not on my person.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
Locked up and safe is fine, but do not hide them and refer to them as no-nos.  You teach your child to operate the kitchen stove safely do that same with guns.  Making them a no see and no touch item to kids is like putting a kid magnet on to the item.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
Cathy1911:

I read a good deal of the linked article(s).  What I read was generally good.  One thing I think is important, and related to disarming the kids' curiosity, is to actually allow them to see what a loaded gun does in action.  If you can take your child hunting and let them see what a bullet or shot shell does to an animal, they will quickly realize what it will do to a human being, too.  Learning what "dead" means is an important part of recognizing the importance of gun safety.  If you can't take them hunting, or don't like hunting for some insane reason :), at least take them somewhere you can shoot and blow up some stuff.  They need to see what that bullet does when it hits something.  A hole through a paper target doesn't do it.  Pull an R. Lee Emery and blow up some watermellons, or apples, or tin cans (we used to sink bottles in the creek, but that's probably not a good idea).  Take an old plastic model car or ship or airplane and turn it into little pieces of unrecognizable junk (be sure and clean up afterward though).  When the kids realize what that bullet is going to do when it hits something, they'll be much more likely to pay attention to the basic safety rules.

One more thing.  They need to learn that you mean what you say, all the time.  When you tell them not to touch a gun, they need to know there will be some consequences if they disobey.  It's too late to learn that after they pick up a gun and shoot someone or themselves.  You need to teach them in every situation that what you say is the law and that there will be punishment for disobeying the law.  When you tell your kids not to color on the wall or they will be punished, you need to punish them if they do it anyway.  When you tell your kid to stop doing any inappropriate behavior, and they don't stop, you need to physically stop them, and use some form of punishment that will get your point across.  Some parents try the "I love you and don't want to see you get hurt or into trouble" speech.  If that works with your kids, fine.  It doesn't with most.  If a few loudly spoken, harsh words do the trick, fine.  It will with some.  If it takes a firm grasp on the wrist and dragging them off to sit in a corner, fine.  With some, it might take a swat or two on the backside (maybe even with a belt, however, not so hard you leave welts or scars!).  You have to do whatever it takes for them to understand they can't break the law without paying the price.  Yes, there may be a rare child who can never be trusted to obey the law, one where nothing short of physical confinement will guarantee compliance.  If that is your child, you'll have to keep your guns in a safe or somehow disable them so they cannot be accessed or fired without your knowledge. 
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
Armed, on your point of showing what a gun can do....

I was about 4 years old when my dad caught my little brother and I playing with a defunct (rusty, non shootable) .22 that my grandpa had left in the barn. To this day, I can see what a .22 can do to a medium sized pumpkin. Never has that visual left my mind.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
I think learning what "dead" is from seeing my dad in action while hunting is the single most reason I take gun safety so seriously.  That's not to say I've never violated any of the safety rules as I would bet we all have at one time or another.  We went into that in another post.  However, I'm always quite sure of what I'm doing, and I don't do anything I think is dangerous.  I know if I'm a little nervous about something I'm doing with a gun (like clearing a jam or something), that I really need to concentrate on where that weapon is pointed, who and what is around me, etc.  But it all stems from the fact that I know what a bullet does when it hits something (aside from little holes in a paper target).

Sometimes parents don't want their kids exposed to "death" while they're so young and innocent, but hiding it from them is doing them no favors in my mind.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »
Locked up and safe is fine, but do not hide them and refer to them as no-nos.

Excellent point.  My 5 year old daughter sees me working on and cleaning my guns, and is naturally curious.  I answer her questions truthfully, and we talk about how they're not a toy, but a tool for adults.  I've told her when she's older that I'll take her shooting, and she knows what to do if she finds  a gun without an adult around.  Kids aren't stupid.  I would never leave one lying around unattended, but I feel she's better prepared than if I screamed hysterically that guns are evil and she should never ever even look at one.

They need to learn that you mean what you say, all the time.  When you tell them not to touch a gun, they need to know there will be some consequences if they disobey.  It's too late to learn that after they pick up a gun and shoot someone or themselves.  You need to teach them in every situation that what you say is the law and that there will be punishment for disobeying the law. 

Unfortunately, too many parents want to be their kid's friend first and parent second, so they do just the opposite of what you recommend.  I think that's a big part of why we have so many problems as a society today.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:29:30 PM by bkoenig »

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
Other bad things:  time outs, not keeping score in sports, trying to promote self-esteem by making it so everyone wins instead of having to compete and learning that some people are better at some things, being afraid to tell it like it is and being "politically correct" instead (you don't have to intentionally belittle people, but you can't constantly dance around the issues).