< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: West Virginia....Do they recognize NE?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
West Virginia....Do they recognize NE?
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
This website is confusing as to whether they recognize a Ne CCW permit or not.
http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm?state=NB#guntitle

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: West Virginia....Do they recognize NE?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:20:24 AM »
No. WV does not recognize Nebraska, but Nebraska does honor their permits.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
See that's the confusing part.  When you "build a map" using handgunlaw and use a Ne permit it says that WV recognizes NE.

On a side note, visiting NSP's website shows that MS recognizes NE.  Not sure when that took place, but not many websites have that update:
http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/docs/CCWNebraskaReciprocity.pdf

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
Mississippi is not even up to date on that...

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/webpages/firearms_firearmspermitfaqs?OpenDocument

# With what other states does Mississippi have reciprocity? (Whose permits do we honor, who honors ours?)
# Mississippi has Reciprocal Agreements with : Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan,Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, & Wyoming.

Nebraska can not enter into a reciprocal agreement as the statutes do not have a provision to do that. Mississippi may honor our permit, but their website does not reflect that(yet)

and just for you information...

# How can I transport my handgun thru Mississippi while on vacation or just passing thru?
# Mississippi Law Sec. 97-37-1 (2) states "It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle".

# If you will be traveling on the Natchez Trace Federal Parkway, please contact them directly at (662)842-1572 for their rules & regulation on transporting your firearm.
#   
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
See that's the confusing part.  When you "build a map" using handgunlaw and use a Ne permit it says that WV recognizes NE.

On a side note, visiting NSP's website shows that MS recognizes NE.  Not sure when that took place, but not many websites have that update:
http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/docs/CCWNebraskaReciprocity.pdf

Handgunlaw says that WV does not honor the Nebraska permit. Their information is correct.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:26:36 AM by DaveB »

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
I see that handgun law must have a software issue with the create a license map link they provide.  When building a Nebraska map it shows WV in blue.  Obviously this is not the case and glad it's clarified (for me anyway).

Kind of crazy how all these links are not on the "same page".  Our own state police website says it's ok to CCW in MS, MS link does not reflect that.  Guess that reiterates and goes to show to make sure and verify before carrying in any of the states these tools say is possible.

Sorry for the confusion of this thread.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf

Appears correctly for me using Firefox 3.6.13
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
Not sure you guys are seeing the same thing as I am.  If you go to handgunlaw.us and on the left there is a "create license map" link.  Click on that and you can select states you have CCW permits in.  Click that you have a nebraska permit.  What color do you see WV?

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:26:31 PM »
Here is the link I'm seeing that WV recognizes NE:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Like I said, I understand after looking further into that they don't.  But looking deeper into it....OH is colored Red which means they do not recognize NE.  I know for a fact that OH does recognize NE.  So there is some issues with the software and that map builder.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
OK I see the issue now,

If you send an email to  admins@handgunlaw.us  with an explanation and a link to this thread, they will respond. I have sent them many requests for similar problems
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »
I sent an email to handgunlaw about the MS question. He has emailed both Nebraska and Mississippi since there is no one to talk to today. I will ask him about the West Virginia map too now.

Just emailed Gary about the map build, will see what he says.

I also informed him that Omaha no longer has to register if you have a CCW.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:27:59 PM by DaveB »

Offline GarySlider

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
The Create a map is not correct.  WV does not honor NE.  There are actually 4 errors on the create a map. We had a problem with that application and had to reload it and didn't have a backup new enough and are still catching up with what we missed. As I was doing the update for 1/1/11 I have the updates for the create a map also. Steve has to do the maps for the create a map. They are different than the state maps.

WV does not honor a NE Permit/License.  NE does honor a WV Permit/License. WV will only honor another state if they sign an agreement and from all I see NE will not sign agreements so those two will never get together.

Gary Slider
Handgunlaw.us

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Florida and Utah permits are good in WV

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply Gary.  If you could keep us up to date on the MS/NE response that would be great.

Chris, are you still offering the UT class for discount for those who have taken your NE CCW class?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
Yes I will offer the discount for those who took their NE class from me (for my UT Classes outside of Lincoln).

I am trying to schedule a Feb Utah class in Bellevue, so keep an eye on my website schedule

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 11:11:52 PM »
Gary, Thanks for coming in an clarifying that. 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline GarySlider

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »
I talked to the person in charge in the Mississippi Handgun Unit. They told me they will not honor a Nebraska Permit/License. NE got back with me and even sent me the letter they say states that MS will honor the NE Permit/License. The letter does not say that. The letter was signed by the same person I talked to in the MS Handgun Unit. The letter ask NE what MS has to do for them to honor their permit/license.

NE AG has stated that they will not honor a MS permit/license. It doesn't meet NE standards. MS will honor any state that honors theirs. Since NE will not honor theirs then MS Will Not Honor a NE. I have explained this to NE but they have still not removed Mississippi from their list of who they say honors their permit/license. I would not carry in Mississippi with an NE permit/license.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
Thanks Gary for your work and help with this.