< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: > 1lb BP or >20 smokeless  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
> 1lb BP or >20 smokeless
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
Ok, so I was looking through some laws for "some other stuff", and I ran accross this:

19.03.160 Section 3301.1 Amended; Fireworks.
Section 3301.1 of the International Fire Code is amended to read as follows:
3301.1 Fireworks. The provisions of this chapter and Chapter 9.44 of the Lincoln
Municipal Code shall govern the possession, manufacture, storage, handling, sale and use of
explosives, explosive material, fireworks, and small arms ammunition.
Exceptions:
1. The Armed Forces of the United States, Coast Guard or National Guard.
2. Explosives in forms prescribed by the official United States Pharmacopoeia.
3. The possession, storage and use of small arms ammunition when packaged in
accordance with DOTn packaging requirements.
4. The possession, storage and use of not more than one pound (0.454 kg) of
commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and
10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.
5. The use of explosive materials by federal, state and local regulatory, law
enforcement, and fire agencies acting in their official capacities.
6. Special industrial explosive devices which in the aggregate contain less than 50
pounds (23 kg) of explosive materials.
7. The possession, storage, and use of blank industrial-power load cartridges when
packaged in accordance with DOTn packaging regulations.
8. Transportation in accordance with DOTn 49 CFR Parts 100-178.
9. Items prepared by federal regulations.
(Ord. 17998 ?16; May 13, 2002).

http://lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti19/ch1903.pdf

Ok, what are the talking about here?  I may have more than 20lbs smokeless, and more than 10k primers!!   :o

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: > 1lb BP or >20 smokeless
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Nice.  Never noticed that before.  Now I'm going to have to look into local ordinances in Plattsmouth had such also, just because you've made me curious. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
 WOW...talk about your doublespeak

First they state that the code governs blah blah blah,

then they list           " EXCEPTIONS"

4. The possession, storage and use of not more than one pound (0.454 kg) of
commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and
10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.

So, are they governing or excepting ???

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
It says they govern the possession etc.except for not more than 1 lb.,20 lb.,etc.

It sounds confusing until you substitute "less than  or equal to" for "not more than".
They govern the possession except for less than 1 lb. etc.

It's pretty much a carbon copy of National Fire Protection Association standards.
Even if your town doesn't have these standards, I'll bet your homeowners policy does.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:46:37 PM by justsomeguy »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
So "IF" I have more than 20 lbs smoke less or more than 10K primers, then what?  Is the state/local fire chief going to come knocking on my door?  Would my insuance still cover me if I had a fire, and "willfully neglected" knowing that I had more than the "allowed" amount?

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
A violation of the fire code will probably only result in a fine and a requirement that you take corrective action. Though who would know before a fire?

After a fire it would be obvious and good luck getting someone to replace your house.

There are however provisions for storing more than the maximums listed above such as in a wooden magazine with all sides being at least one inch thick. IIRC this will get you up to 50 lbs. smokeless.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
To me, that looks like it applies even to a retailer.

What if a person has more than 10,000 loaded rounds of ammo in his house?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:32:58 PM »
Just another reason I live out in the sticks.

;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
To me, that looks like it applies even to a retailer.

What if a person has more than 10,000 loaded rounds of ammo in his house?

Yes, even to a retailer.
The NFPA is the basis of most Fire Codes, Electrical Codes, many Building Codes, many zoning ordinances and referenced in many insurance policies.

NFPA 495 Explosive Material Code, Section 13-3 Smokeless Propellants, lists the recommendations of the National Fire Protection Association applying to powder. These are echoed in most fire codes and zoning laws.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:58:48 AM by justsomeguy »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
From the Alliant powder web site

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#recommendations

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

and  for vehicle transport

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:58:19 AM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
It's also a good idea to store flamables away from stairways, doorways and possible escape routes from your house.

The garage would be best but I know none of us want our dies or components exposed to the wide swings and extremes of temperature and humidity in this area.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
SAAMI pamphlet-   Primers: Properties, Handling, and Storage For Handloading

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
Anybody have a jobbox for sale?   ;D

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Anybody have a jobbox for sale?   ;D

There has been a few on Craigslist for sale lately....
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.