< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Still looking for a deer  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Still looking for a deer
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
So far this year I've been unsuccessful in bagging a deer.  If anyone has some (or knows someone who has some) whitetail does in need of removal somewhere in the Season Choice 20 area I'm available to attempt removal.

This whole bit about not knowing any landowners is putting a real crimp in my hunting.   ;D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Still looking for a deer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
I feel for ya, Bill, in the same boat here!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
i was out this morning for a few hours on my parent's property which is area 19.  all i saw was a ton of pheasant tracks but no deer tracks and no deer.  the only wildlife i saw was a crow and coyote.  i have yet to even shoot at a deer.

on an unrelated note:  the only good thing was the trespasser we had for months finally picked his stuff up.  next year, that stuff will be mine and game and parks will be notified.  im tired of trespassers.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
I talked to a big deer hunter at work last night. guess he's not having much luck either, even on private property. says he had a herd of does come in the other day and in an effort to start filling tags he shot the biggest of the group.  He says he was lucky to scrap 30lbs of meat off her. Where the H did they all go. Maybe there should be a summer season and let us run up and down the highways. Seems to be plenty then and there!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
That's weird, this year in the fall firearm season I saw more deer than I've ever seen in my life.  I was especially surprsed at the number of bucks.  I hunt in Calamus East though, and the deer are ridiculously thick there.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
That's weird, this year in the fall firearm season I saw more deer than I've ever seen in my life.  I was especially surprsed at the number of bucks.  I hunt in Calamus East though, and the deer are ridiculously thick there.
Well dang, I'd say hook me up, but the tranny went out in the truck, so unless I strap her to the hood of my buddy's Taurus, my huntin' days are shot for the year.  (wish I knew a good CHEAP tranny guy. ;)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
I saw a lot of deer this year too.  My land is up in the northeast part of the state.  I saw two small bucks and one large one.  (Shot one of the smaller ones - got about 50 lbs of meat.)  I also must have seen at least a dozen does.  Just brought home about 60 lbs of meat from one of the larger ones this past weekend.  That's all on about 80 acres of a 160 acre property.

Where are you guys looking that you're not seeing any deer?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
It helps if the land you're hunting has good deer habitat.  I hunt on my dad's land in Northeast Nebraska (right on the eastern edge of the Calamus East unit).  The home place where we do most of the hunting is a continuous section and a half, about 80 acres of corn, 80 of beans, probably 40 of yards and houses, and the rest is pasture.  The pasture has several water holes and lots of steep hills with thick groves of trees growing between the hills.  It's deer heaven.  My 10 year old nephew got his first deer ever this year, a BIG 5x5 muley.  Everyone in our group (6 guys) got a buck.  I saw at least half a dozen bucks in the two days I had to hunt but missed a decent 4x4 due to a broken scope.  I took top honors for smallest deer with my little spike :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:42:45 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
without giving away my secret places, my parents own land in area 19/Elkhorn area roughly around wayne/wakefield/laurel area of NE Nebraska.  our fields have always had deer on them and plenty of trespassers.  the land has great cover, not close to roads with a creek nearby.  to say the least im surprised.  i guess when hunters shoot 63,000 in one week in November, the deer get scared.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official