< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Millard South Shooting  (Read 5801 times)

Offline shaggy853

• Steel Benefactor
Millard South Shooting
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Shooting_At_Millard_South_High_School_112952214.html

I'm watching live coverage here
http://www.ketv.com/video/26378142/detail.html

Looks like 2 adult victims, one of which apparently was airlifted away.

The suspect supposedly fled in a red accord and has been found(dead).

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Millard South Shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
'OPD saw Red Honda leaving scene, found 30min later'  ::)
"Swat stormed school at aprrox 1:15pm." "students were ushered into kitchen at approx 12:45"  ::)

I'm sorry, but my kids live in Omahorn and a half hour SWAT response time for Millard has me worried, especially since the presinct in charge of Elkhorn is downtown!

I don't know what the answers are, but we have to do more for our kids!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Millard South shooter dead; principal injured
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »
Anyone know anything about this?

After I said something about metal detectors at the Omaha schools.

The Millard South High student who allegedly shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday afternoon was the son of an Omaha police detective.

Robert Butler Jr. was found dead in a car about 1:30 p.m. after Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot inside the school.

Case was listed mid-afternoon in serious but stable condition at Creighton University Medical Center.
Kaspar was in critical condition at Creighton.

Robert was the son of Omaha Police Det. Robert Butler. The younger Butler's body was found in a red Honda Accord in the 3900 block of South 147th St. Authorities requested an ambulance for the suspect.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110105/NEWS97/110109863#millard-south-shooter-found-principal-injured

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
As a Fromer Millard South parent and a current parent of a millard 1st grader I am asking the NFOA to begin the process of pushing our state Legislature to allow teachers and administrators with proper training to be able to carry concealed handguns for protection in our schools. This could have been avoided. I would feel completly comfortable with a teacher with proper training to be able to protect my child. I know who the principles are . They are good people. Please pry to God for thier recovery. More to come. I might not let up on this one for along time. Now it's personal. Hope all you state Senators are listening.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline shaggy853

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13788613

That link says he is believed to have been wearing a vest and used his dads gun.

If thats true, his parents will feel the effects of this for a long time beyond just losing a son.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
Arming teachers will be the last thing this society ever allows.  We are so polluted now with PC thought.  Reality must be avoided at all costs. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
As a Fromer Millard South parent and a current parent of a millard 1st grader I am asking the NFOA to begin the process of pushing our state Legislature to allow teachers and administrators with proper training to be able to carry concealed handguns for protection in our schools. This could have been avoided. I would feel completly comfortable with a teacher with proper training to be able to protect my child. I know who the principles are . They are good people. Please pry to God for thier recovery. More to come. I might not let up on this one for along time. Now it's personal. Hope all you state Senators are listening.

I have absolutely no problem with teachers carrying guns. I think that most of the teachers have a problem with it though. They teach that guns kill people, they teach it so hard that they believe it. I now look for the Omaha schools to install metal detectors at the schools on the recommendation of the OPD.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/25197291-f33f-5a96-b3dc-81f43d2f124b.html
Former Lincoln SW High student. Had just moved to live with his father and was planning on attending Millard South?  I'll be real interested to see how all the facts play out.

And huskergun, I've got your back here as well, I too believe that even a few responsible faculty members training and carrying are the best defensive we could offer. I for one have even pondered offering 'service' (after more training of course) to my childrens' schools, all they have to do is authorize it.  I know we have some issues we were wanting to get thru this year, but maybe pushing a 'campus carry' type thing on the heels of this event would be toward our benefit.  Utilize the current emotions to carry an agenda thru.

On a related note, I was very impressed to find out that Westridge in Elkhorn just recently performed some 'crisis drills' At least they are not being total sheep about it. I have yet to speak to the principal to find out what all was invovled, but will make it a point now.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline wingz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
The sad part of the metal detectors being brought up is that they would have done no good in the first place. The office is only about 20 feet from the front entry. The detectors won't stop a finger from pressing the trigger. So short of hiring armed guards for every entry, installing metal detectors for a forewarning at every entry as well, you just can't stop everyone.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »

"I have absolutely no problem with teachers carrying guns. I think that most of the teachers have a problem with it though. They teach that guns kill people, they teach it so hard that they believe it. I now look for the Omaha schools to install metal detectors at the schools on the recommendation of the OPD. "

I think you are probably right about most teachers.  I am a teacher too, though, and wish I could carry at work.  Schools are PRIME targets for any jack#ss trying to go down in a blaze of glory. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

"I have absolutely no problem with teachers carrying guns. I think that most of the teachers have a problem with it though. They teach that guns kill people, they teach it so hard that they believe it. I now look for the Omaha schools to install metal detectors at the schools on the recommendation of the OPD. "

I think you are probably right about most teachers.  I am a teacher too, though, and wish I could carry at work.  Schools are PRIME targets for any jack#ss trying to go down in a blaze of glory. 

Blaze of glory is exactly what these punks want and it's exactly what they get. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
There was even an armed (SRO) School Resourse officer there. Goes to show that even when they are in the same damn building that the police are still minutes away when seconds count. This just makes me sick and very sad.
 A close friend of mine works there and was involved in the trouble early in the day. Thank God she was at lunch when it happened. It wasn't a very good situation then either from what I am hearing.
 Anyway... It doesn't  matter what the teachers or the Liberal Omaha lawmakers think. We should still pursue what we believe is right. The teachers that want to carry can and the ones that don't wont. But is it not our responsibility to help those that want to protect themselves and our kids? I will be contacting our lawmakers. Oh, and so will the anti's ...just a thought
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
Continue to pray to God for the family of Dr. Curtis Case and Dr. Vicki Kasper.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Too bad more people don't feel this way:

"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret) Marko Kloos
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.
If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument,
or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.
Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.
Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that
removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force.
You have to use reason and try to persuade me,
because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman
on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on
equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing
with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity
in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations.
These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job.
That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice
or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong,
and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury.
This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV,
where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst.
The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender,
not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter.
It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone.
The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because
it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason,
only the actions of those who would do so by force.
It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)
Marko Kloos http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/why-the-gun-is-civilization/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:16:53 PM by AAllen »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
Dr. Vicki Kasper died. Is that enough for these damn liberals who refuse to see the truth? This just pisses me off.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
huskergun - I have to agree with you on arming some school personnel.  My concern is that over the next few days this is going to be used as another example of why "guns are bad."  I was on the road in the Omaha area today listening to 1290 AM on the radio and on the national stories at the top of the hour the lead story was "There were three shooting in the U.S. today.  One at a high school in Omaha, one at a church in . . . [I forget the State], and one at a shopping mall in Arizona."  What they won't cover is that it is extremely unlikely anyone carrying legally would have been involved in any of these since in at least 2 of the 3 locations (probably all 3) it was illegal to have a handgun [the church and school in particular, and most likely the mall as well].  They also won't mention the fact that since these locations are "posted" or "illegal" they make themselves a natural target for someone seeking to do this type of carnage.  Very seldom do we read a story of some stupid punk with a gun walking into a gun store and opening fire.  These type of people pick their location based on the likelihood that people there won't be shooting back.  The only way to defeat this mentality is to make them question whether they stand a chance of getting away with it - or not.  If they think they will get shot back at they are likely to either not do it or find an easier target.  

my 2 cents anyway . . .    
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:06:31 PM by MikeF72 »
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
I worked in the Omaha Public Schools from March 1992 to 30 September 1996 as a school security officer. Most of the security officers at that time were retired law enforcement or retired military. These officers already have the training and responsibility for protecting the facility, faculty and students. I believe that they should be armed and allowed to do the job that they are being paid to do.
WØCHF

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
It's allowed in churches, why not schools?   ???
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Cathy1911

• Past Director- Secretary
  • NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
The "school security officer" hid behind his desk until the shooter left the building.  If this was an unarmed school employee, it reiterates that unarmed security is no security at all especially in the total absence of combat mindset.  If this was their assigned armed resource officer, words just fail me.

Offline shaggy853

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
Wow, that is absolutely unacceptable.