< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Firearms Storage bill coming  (Read 1543 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Firearms Storage bill coming
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110107/NEWS97/701079876#a-new-look-at-police-weapon-policies

State Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha said he will sponsor legislation to hold gun owners responsible for leaving loaded weapons where minors can get them.

If passed, owners could be charged with ?improper storage of a firearm? if a youngster used a gun to hurt or kill himself or others. The charge would be a felony.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Firearms Storage bill coming
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
Oh goody, feelgood legislation that is meant to scare people. That always works good coming from a nanny government.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Boy, I REALLY can't wait til this fool is term-limited out of the Unicameral.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
Another fine example of never letting a crisis go to waste. ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
I'll be interested to see if, like the majority of firearm regulations, Law Enforcement personnel are exempt.

>:D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
OPDs chief is changing the reimbursement rule to pay OPD cops back for buying a gun safe.  Question 1....where does the money come to pay for that bennie?  The taxpayer?  Question 2....how do they ensure that said Cops use the safe?  OWH reports this cop had one, but the Glock was in the closet.  Question 3....is Ashford's proposed legislation going to apply to LEOs?

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
OPDs chief is changing the reimbursement rule to pay OPD cops back for buying a gun safe.  Question 1....where does the money come to pay for that bennie?  The taxpayer?  Question 2....how do they ensure that said Cops use the safe?  OWH reports this cop had one, but the Glock was in the closet.  Question 3....is Ashford's proposed legislation going to apply to LEOs?

1- As I understand it Officers receive a uniform allowance that can also be used to buy equipment. Gun safes have been added to the list of approved purchases. As to were the money comes from its part of the Depts budget and of course is funded by taxes.

2- They cant. OPD officers purchase their own weapons and are under no more obligation than you or I to secure it.

3- I guess you would have to ask Ashford about that one.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
After rereading the article, it seems Assford's bill would not have even applied in this case as the younger Butler "stole" the firearm from the elder.

Owners would not be charged if they had locked up their weapons or used a trigger lock on their guns. They also would avoid prosecution if their gun had been stolen, or if an injury occurred while hunting or sport shooting.

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
A little reminder of past splendid ideas from the cranium of Brad Assford.  http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=64.0

I have trouble finding the H key sometimes...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:02:58 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
Let's just adopt D.C. storage rules.  I think Ashford would be happy.  Seriously, taking advantage of the tragedy in Omaha isn't right. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
Is it just me, or is Brad holding this , just waiting for a tragedy so he can spring into action?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
OK, so the question is, how do we counter him without looking like the bad guys?  He has emotion on his side.  Unfortunately logic doesn't count for much in the days after something like this.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
I will repeat what I posted on his Facebook page today:

Passing legislation that diminishes the ability of many thousands of Nebraska citizens to legally protect themselves in their own homes because of the actions of one person is a foolish and knee-jerk reaction.

A-FIXER

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »
But sorry Rick, you words would only make sense to a person who uses common sense and understanding. I yet to see any proposals he has submited that follow any logic.
A-fixer

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »
What is needed is safe storage for unruly politicians, they seem to cause more damage than guns.

We do have them, they are called prisons.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Folks, we need to fight this one tooth and nail again, just like we did 2 years ago in the 2008 session when Ashford tried to push that assault weapons ban commission. This bill would severely diminish gun freedoms in Nebraska and severely limit our ability to keep a loaded gun at the ready. Remember a gun with a trigger lock on it is useless. And for the state to tell us we can't have a gun available to our kids when us parents are out is wrong. If there is a home invasion they would be defenseless. Let parents decide for themselves how they raise and train their children with guns.