< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: One gun What Caliber?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
One gun What Caliber?
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
If you were to be limited to one rifle be it a bolt action, semi auto, or single shot, pump etc. What caliber would you chose? I am torn betweeen the .223, .308, .270 0r 7MM? Now bear in mind this rifle would be used for hunting, self defense if the SHTF. Comments?

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Re: One gun What Caliber?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
Personally, I think the .30-06 is tough to beat as an all-around rifle, so of those listed I'd say .308.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
In Nebraska, .223 would do the job.

In Alaska, .308 would be more appropriate.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
I would have to agree with FarmerRick on this one.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I would say .308 due to the capability of the cartridge and the variety and availability of ammunition.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
definitely .308 or .223 for availability.  If I had to choose I'd say .223 due to the fact I can carry more of it.
N0ZXR

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
I fully agree with .308 for all the reasons cited above.
WØCHF

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
Well, if you narrow the criteria to only be one GUN I would say a pump action 12 gauge.....

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
I tend to agree w/ bkoenig.  A 12 gauge w/ bird shot, buckshot and slugs could be very useful for a variety of reasons. 
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
I tend to agree w/ bkoenig.  A 12 gauge w/ bird shot, buckshot and slugs could be very useful for a variety of reasons. 

... and darn good on zombies as well!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
.308 rounds pack more punch than a .223, your target would not be standing after a hit from a .308  a bolt action more dependable, if you only have 1 hand would be a challange to chamber round after round in the same boat as (pump/singleshot) but... an semi-auto FAL W/20'' Barrel would give you the accuracy you would want and is an gas piston (cleaner than blow back AR's and require less attention in your Firefight should you jam you AR) mag's are only 20 rnds and are appx 25.00 each. And recoil is a factor for multiple shots this limits the .270 and 7mm mag, cost of bass for .308 is less than the .270 or 7mm mag and would require about 1/2 the powder per round the 7mm mag is quite a bit more recoil than you may want for a defense and reacquired shots. So MY PICK is .308 FAL they run about 1000.00 and are heaver but less felt recoil than the 7mm mag.

A-FIXER

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »
Lest I forget HEADSHOTS ONLY ON THEM THARE ZOMBIES......

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:50 AM »
The Turdy Turdy lever gun. Gettin er dun since 1895!! just fast enough to get the job done, ammo easy to aquire, and lever action offers reliable repetition.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RWNJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
I would also recommend .30-06 because of best available ammunition (both worldwide access and bullet weights).  Maximum flexibility would suggest a bolt action.
Cynical, opinionated, and far to the right of conservative.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
If SHTF, Think Rifle Squad:

-One or Two Bolt-Action 30-06s w/Good Variable Scopes for Long-Distance Work
-Several .223/5.56 Types for Firepower Base
-Coupla Pump Shotguns w/Sack Full of Various 3-1/2" Loads for Street Sweeping and House Cleaning

Each Guy Bring His Own Favorite Gun, plus Possibles Bag of Miscellaneous Goodies.

If SHTF, Lone-Wolf/Rambo-Style won't go very far.

Just a Thought.

And--A Good, Strong Squad Leader.   [Think of All the Serious Good NCOs You've Known.   Tall, Lanky, Shaved Head, Ears Stick Out............And They've Got that STARE that can freeze a Grunt in His Tracks.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
Kalashnikov gets no love in a SHTF thread!!!!  You will wish you had an AKM style rifle when you are peeing on your other guns to thaw them out in the winter.  They can be had in any of the common military calibers. 
The FAL's rock, but heavy.  Bolt guns are accurate and reliable, but are a five shot club at close ranges.
Where's Wildgoose?  If I started a fight I need backup.   ;D

woohoo, owning page two
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:24:15 PM by 20nickels »
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Kalashnikov gets no love in a SHTF thread!!!!  You will wish you had an AKM style rifle when you are peeing on your other guns to thaw them out in the winter.  They can be had in any of the common military calibers. 
The FAL's rock, but heavy.  Bolt guns are accurate and reliable, but are a five shot club at close ranges.
Where's Wildgoose?  If I started a fight I need backup.   ;D

woohoo, owning page two

Two things...

Page ownage doesn't count if you have to go back and edit your post to claim such ownage.

As far as AK's are concerned.... that's why I have a uber-reliable Saiga in .223   >:D

A-FIXER

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Kalashnikov gets no love in a SHTF thread!!!!  You will wish you had an AKM style rifle when you are peeing on your other guns to thaw them out in the winter.  They can be had in any of the common military calibers. 
The FAL's rock, but heavy.  Bolt guns are accurate and reliable, but are a five shot club at close ranges.
Where's Wildgoose?  If I started a fight I need backup.   ;D

woohoo, owning page two

Two things...

Page ownage doesn't count if you have to go back and edit your post to claim such ownage.

As far as AK's are concerned.... that's why I have a uber-reliable Saiga in .223   >:D

Ha Ha... the members here are GREAT....

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
The Greatest imho.

Kalashnikov gets no love in a SHTF thread!!!!  You will wish you had an AKM style rifle when you are peeing on your other guns to thaw them out in the winter.  They can be had in any of the common military calibers. 
The FAL's rock, but heavy.  Bolt guns are accurate and reliable, but are a five shot club at close ranges.
Where's Wildgoose?  If I started a fight I need backup.   ;D

woohoo, owning page two

Two things...

Edited to add FAL praise also.  Big guns need love too!  ;D Saiga ultra reliabilty was proven right next to me in Grand Island last Summer as well as any accuracy concerns.  Your wife thoroughly impressed that bowling pin.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
Forgot to ask, does the Saiga take Galil mags or is modification needed?