< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It's tax time...  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
Re: It's tax time...
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
Mine is hitting the savings account to get me a new car this summer.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
Scope: check, Quick release mounts: check. Upper on back order, should get it next month. Lower is being shipped as we speak.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
Received the lower, it is very nice. Now I am getting the run-around from Bushmaster over the upper I ordered. I originally ordered it from Midwayusa.com...but it was on backorder...so I cancelled that order and decided to go straight to th source, thinking maybe I'd get it faster...well they told me 2 weeks a week ago saying they'd email me when they were in stock and ready to ship. I called them today because I haven't received an email yet...they told me today its now 3 to 6 weeks...worst part is Midway got them in earlier than they thought...and promptly sold out again, must say I am a little bummed, oh well.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
There are tons of options for uppers, so I personally would not wait for 3-6 weeks for one.

Look at

PK Firearms http://www.pkfirearms.com/categoryindex

PK has Bushmaster barrelled uppers assembled by PK on high quality upper receivers

Bravo Co   http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

Stag Arms   http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=14_24

Delton    http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_barrels_s/4.htm
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
Thanks Dan W, I've checked out all of those sights previously...except PK...I had no idea they existed. They have an RRA varmint upper that looks like what I'm after.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
Having been told "2 or 3 more weeks" one too many times I decided to take Dan W's advice and not wait...any longer. Checked out a whole bunch of websites, settled on Armalite, emailed them my order, had the upper TWO days later...

Finally got to go out to Hamburg bend with her this aftrernoon to put her through her paces. Learned a couple things A) I think my P-mags need broken in a little, and B) I need to invest in a MUCH better riser for my scope...(was a wee bit over budget, took the cheapo route, now I am paying dearly in accuracy)

One issue, maybe y'all can help me with, I had no FTF, FTE, but sometimes it wouldn't feed the next round completely and get snagged up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Pics to come, gotta scale 'em down, maybe one or two of my better (though still not that good) groups, and the rifle herself.

Offline cperch

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
In my opinion it probably isn't the pmags.  I have a total of 19 pmags that i bought at different times and places and none of them required a break in period.  Never had any problems with a pmag feeding.   If you store your pmags loaded make sure you store them with the supplied cover snapped on the feed lips.  If you keep them loaded and without the cover there is a possiblilty the mag can split.  I have seen a few that guys from work have had split due to loaded storage without covers.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »
In my opinion it probably isn't the pmags.  I have a total of 19 pmags that i bought at different times and places and none of them required a break in period.  Never had any problems with a pmag feeding.   If you store your pmags loaded make sure you store them with the supplied cover snapped on the feed lips.  If you keep them loaded and without the cover there is a possiblilty the mag can split.  I have seen a few that guys from work have had split due to loaded storage without covers.

Never kept 'em stored loaded as I just completed my rifle, you are however probably correct, my thinking they need broken in probably has something to do with the feeding issue.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »
Nothing too scientific, just breakin it in...got the new scope mount after I got back from shooting, now to find somebody with the tools to get that free-float quad rail put on...OD green handguards...not my favorite (I do however have some black Krylon  :laugh: )

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
Done!!!  ;D  :D  ;)  :)  :P  8) ...for now that is...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
What scope riser did you end up going with?  Looks like a nice rig.  And, um, yeah....they're never "done".

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
The one in the first pic is a piece of crap, UTG or some such, quite loose, low quality, but thats what you get for $18.99 or whatever I paid. The new one in the newest pic is a Blackhawk I believe, got it at Cabela's...VERY sturdy, doesn't move at all. Can't wait to see what that does for my accuracy, because I'm not great, but I am alot better than that target pic shows.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
Yeah, anything from UTG is pretty much only good for a .22 or airsoft.

What type of feed ramps does your barrel extension / upper have?  Maybe the bullet is getting hung up there.  My experience with PMAGS has been 100% reliable also.  I would really doubt if it's a mag problem, unless your OAL is too long and the bullet tip is getting hung up in the mag.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:20 AM »
Bought the Pmags due to all the positive reviews, you guys are probably right. As for feed ramps I'm not sure, I will check when I get home from work tonight. Checked out the trouble shooting section on arfcom, gave me some ideas, but I don't think I could post there, seems awfully hostile, I'll take nfoa advice...seems decidedly safer  :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
If you stay in the technical sections on Arfcom it's ok.  Posting in General Discussion is like walking through the middle of Detroit at midnight waving a $100 bill.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
If you stay in the technical sections on Arfcom it's ok.  Posting in General Discussion is like walking through the middle of Detroit at midnight waving a $100 bill.
quite literally lol...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:04:47 AM by KGillen »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
Send a few mags over with your bullets and I will test them for you  :P
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
Would if I could Dan :p although my fiancee just found out how much 700 rounds cost us, I might lose my life.