< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It's tax time...  (Read 3203 times)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
It's tax time...
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »
and you know what that means. Uncle Sam will hopefully see fit to return some of what is rightfully yours ($$$) before the administration can attempt to take away something also rightfully yours (2nd amendment rights).

Last year I started a topic asking for all of you to opine as to what your choice of a complete stock factory AR-15, or complete build I could do myself stating that I was being given an allotment by my beautiful wife...well the results are in...drum-roll please...

Looks like y'all convinced me, I am going to build it...(well some of it)...

I have decided on an Armalite complete lower with a two stage trigger from sniper county PX, and a Bushmaster
V-Match A3 flattop upper from Midway USA. The barrel is a 20" 1 in 9" twist, with a bayonet lug, and an aluminum, free-float hanguard.

I'm planning to put a Midwest Industries T-series free float quad rail on, as well as Magpul fore and rear BUIS, I'd like to put a decent optic as well and a bi-pod...I have bigger dreams...but at the risk of being labeled "tacticool" I will shut my mouth.   ;D

Anyhow, the forum has seemed a little glum lately especially in light of recent events, so I would greatly appreciate some feedback and some light heartedness...

KGillen
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: It's tax time...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:44 AM »
That sounds like a good combo.  Should be a real nice shooter.

on the tax subject, if you are getting your OWN MONEY back from the IRS, you are doing it wrong.   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
This is a good distractor, and are you sure about the scope and not a reddot?

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I was thinkin bout a dot, but with the 20" barrel I'm not so sure.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
20" barrel, 2 stage trigger, bipod... definitely calls for a scope. One with a quick release mount
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »
20" barrel, 2 stage trigger, bipod... definitely calls for a scope. One with a quick release mount

Kinda along the lines I was thinkin' thanks Dan W.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
... definitely calls for a scope. One with a quick release mount

LaRue!  (and if you're lucky, they'll throw in a Dillo!)
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »
I could buy a select-fire M16 with what I owe this year... man, I miss the days of refunds sometimes...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
20" barrel?  Why'd you chop 4" inches off it if you are scoping it?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
20" barrel?  Why'd you chop 4" inches off it if you are scoping it?

I don't remember seeing any 24" with a bayonet lug... ;)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

I don't remember seeing any 24" with a bayonet lug...

.... cause a scoped rifle is sooooo much more effective with a knife on the end.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 02:47:18 PM »
Halfway kidding, but that's what the quick release scope mount is for with the BUIS.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
Also from what I've read the extra barrel length and weight can make it a bit unwieldy in the field. I usually shoot far from the road and I lack a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so my friends and I hoof in and out everything we need. So between other firearms, cases, water and enough ammo for the day it can be a bit much to carry.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »

Had to look up what that was, and with the cost of one of their scopes I would hope for a Dillo...LOL

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »

Had to look up what that was, and with the cost of one of their scopes I would hope for a Dillo...LOL
Heh. Yeah, inexpensive they are not. But, they're high quality; I've been really happy with my mount from them. It's one of those buy once, cry once scenarios.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Checked out their site, hope I can find something in my price range...around $200-300... suggestions?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Quick release mounts are useless if they don't return to zero upon reinstall.

LaRue mounts are the best  in the industry for repeated return to zero, and I can prove it on my Rifle
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
You are confusing the scope and the mount. I am saying by a Larue mount, and install whatever scope you want in it.

I have an Armalite mount that is not Quick release with a Nikon Team Primos Monarch 3-9x40 in it.

That setup is around the $300 mark, and is a backup.

My current optic is a Larue LT158 mount and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 scope. That is about a $600 setup, still cheap by many standards.

Larue sells only very high end tactical or mil spec scopes on their site, so they will be very high in price.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
You're right, come to think of it, I believe I was on their scope/mount combo page. I will look at their mounts when I get home from work.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Checked out their site, hope I can find something in my price range...around $200-300... suggestions?

I have the LaRue LT101 with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, because I ran across that scope reco in Boston's Gun Bible.  Burris is good people from just north of Denver and they make good on their forever warranty.  Mount, rings, and glass will run you around $300.