< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LJS- New version of 'castle doctrine' bill introduced  (Read 978 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
LJS- New version of 'castle doctrine' bill introduced
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
http://journalstar.com/news/unicameral/article_7eba38fc-8678-5dea-8cd9-9fdf999fa3f4.html

State senators may see another "castle doctrine" attempt with Wednesday's introduction of a bill by Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial.

Christensen's bill (LB298) amends Nebraska's self-protection law to remove a person's duty to retreat before using deadly force to protect herself or himself against death, serious injury, kidnapping or rape.

~snip~

People should have the opportunity to protect themselves, but without promoting unnecessary violence, Ashford said. There's already too much gun violence on the streets, in shopping malls and schools and businesses.

~~~See more at link~~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: LJS- New version of 'castle doctrine' bill introduced
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »
Ugh, Makes me sick.  

"Omaha Sen. Brad Ashford, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said the committee had questions about whether people should be able to defend themselves outside the home, in public or crowded places."

Headline should read:

"Omaha Sen. Brad Ashford prefers you lay down and die outside the home, in public or crowded places"

With a few exclamation marks and underlines and bold font.

Although I will say the article is not as bad as the Omaha version..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:32:44 AM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
Very true, from the Omaha daily rag's mention of the bill here: http://www.omaha.com/article/20110113/NEWS01/701139858/1009#pipeline-spurs-oversight-bill

Self-defense: Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial introduced a new version of his ?make my day? law. LB 298 would protect people acting in self-defense from being held liable for using deadly force. It also would make it easier to assert self-defense and would remove a requirement that a person avoid using deadly force by retreating.

Christensen's proposal would give people the right to defend themselves with deadly force in any place they have the legal right to be, whether at home, on the street or elsewhere.

::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
I've noticed both the Journal Star and the Omaha World Hearld have got it wrong, that under current law you must retreat first before you can use deadly force, and cannot stand your ground...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
I've noticed both the Journal Star and the Omaha World Hearld have got it wrong, that under current law you must retreat first before you can use deadly force, and cannot stand your ground...

...except in your own home.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
Why doesn't Ashford do some research and try to educated himself on how other States have handled this stuff?  I can't believe he would bring up gangs into this. Well on second thouhgt maybe I can!
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
I think its more of they don't understand it and since its guns we're talking about they don't care to understand it.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com