< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Springfield EMP  (Read 2447 times)

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
Springfield EMP
« on: October 19, 2007, 03:37:14 PM »
Although I am a Glock'er at heart, I am picking up an EMP tomorrow and am curious if anyone here has one and their thoughts.  It has had some very good hype, so I thought I would give it a try ...  I can post a range report etc. later.
If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Springfield EMP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
Paul, I have an EMP. It carries very nicely, compared to the 5" steel framed 1911 I carry now. It did not feed the (147 grain Hornady Custom) Hollow Points I bought with it, so I called Springfield about it. Their CS guy recommended I shoot 300 to 600 rounds of FMJ out of it to break it in, before trying HPs. (I was a little disappointed - for 1,200 dollars Out-the-door-cost, It should have fed out of the box....) I'll try that. I asked for a recommendation for carry ammo, and he said to avoid +P stuff. That shot down my first solution to the feeding problem- Cor-bon's PowRball nylon(?) tipped Personal defense ammo. It's loaded to +P pressures............

I did some research and found a round that may work- Federal's Expanding Full Metal Jacket....... They offer it in a 105 grain 9mm and a 165(?) grain .45ACP. Since I  have experienced feeding problems w/ HP ammo in my .45, I ordered a box of each....... I'll post a range report here .......

I shot the EMP at IDPA Tues. night. I love this gun..........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
OK...I picked mine up today.  Came with 3 magazines...9 round capacity; nice trigger; night sights.

I put about 150 rounds of FMJ (the Wal-Mart Winchester "value pack") and experienced nothing negative in the shooting.  Accurate, very managable to shoot (recoil is very tame).  My only gripes were that the sights are physically small (making my olde eyes work too hard) and I had some instances where the slide did not lock back on the last round.  The gun is a little stiff, and I attributed this to newness.

I really liked this gun.  It will likely take over primary carry duty.  I need to find a good holster for  it now....

If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Holsters
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »
I'm using a Bianchi model 100, size 10.  It fit snug enough that I had to put a little ground mica (from my reloading bench- for case necks and such) to make drawing easier........ Just about any holster for a 3" 1911ought to fit- the width of the slide is the same, I think.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »
Mr. phorvick, does your EMP feed hollow points? What brand?