< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wanting a suppressor......  (Read 3309 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Wanting a suppressor......
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
..... for a .22 pistol.

I saw Ruger is coming out with a .22/45 with the barrel threaded at the factory:

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html

I have a .22/45 already ..... anybody have an idea what would it cost to move the sight backand thread the barrel, saving the purchase price of the new pistol for buying the suppressor itself.....

Also, what do you guys think of the Gemtech Alpine?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Wanting a suppressor......
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »
No idea, but my paperwork was just submitted recently for a new stainless sparrow  ;D

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
TROS (The Riddle Of Steel) does that, cost around $190.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline jwallweyfoundry

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »
If you get an answer to this I to would be interested in the answer. I am looking at getting all my ducks in a row to start my first class 3 purchase.  I am thinking this would be one of the best places to start and possibly the cheepest.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »
One of the first ones I got threaded and sight moved back was on a mini-14 and the cost was 150.00 now I sometimes can get the barrel threaded as low as 45.00 to 65.00 while I wait in area.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »

now I sometimes can get the barrel threaded as low as 45.00 to 65.00 while I wait in area.

Where?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »

now I sometimes can get the barrel threaded as low as 45.00 to 65.00 while I wait in area.

Where?

Jim, at the Omaha gun and machine http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=OMAHA+GUN+AND+MACHINE+REVIEWS&aq=o&aqi=&oq= he's a great guy and will do great work on rifles and varmint heavybarrels.
But the other was from Kent and does his gunsmithing in Ord/BrokenBow Area...and that price was 150.00..moving the sight back on the mini but maybe gun and machine can do the same type of work I don't know because the mini was my first firearm done... if he does do this let me know how it comes out.
Dan

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
any how the gemtech are to be a good quality.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Typically rather than moving the rear sight back and cutting the barrel and threading, I back bore into the original bore, thread internally, then thread in an extension long enough that the 1/2X28 threads protrude from the end of the barrel enough to mount the silencer.

Not as purty as the move sight, cut barrel short, thread barrel use cut off piece of barrel to make a matching profile thread protector, but some only care about function not purty.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
So, I just picked up one of these new Ruger Mk III .22lr threaded pistols.  I ordered a new sear and MK II hammer bushing from Brownells (to get rid of the mag safety so the clips will drop free).  Now just wondering what can to put on it. Hmmmm.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
I'm happy with my Outback II (Gemtech), but I got a really good deal on it. If I was buying at retail I would probably consider a can that can be (easily) taken apart for cleaning.

/rl

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
WOW, what a PITA that was to put the sear and MKII bushing in that MK III!!!  I did it about 20 times to get it all right and working corectly.  I think I can do it blind folded now!!  Thanks to http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm for the steps and pictures!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
That kit tighten up the Ruger's mushy trigger?

I have leard it lightens it, but my complaint is not that mine is heavy- rather that it is squishy, and the mag safety makes take-down a PITA......

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
I think that it made a pretty nice trigger, for no more than I spent on it.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »
Since this Ruger is by far the most difficult firearm I've ever had to (re)assemble and I didn't want to do it any more frequently than I had to, when I had it apart to remove the disconnect and replace the MKIII bushing, I also dropped a VQ trigger, sear, hammer, and extractor into it.  Now it's really smooth.  Check out Rimfire Sports for the parts.  Like Toaster, Dr. Bullseye saved me time with his pics of the upgrades and troubleshooting while I had the Ruger in pieces.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein