< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone like ribs?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Anyone like ribs?
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
Has anybody seen or heard of them around here yet?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/07/oink-feral-pigs-growing-problem/#content

CZech out some of the comments.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Re: Anyone like ribs?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
Maybe two years ago, Nebraska Game and Parks used a helicopter and shot 65 or so south of Harlan County Dam.  They say there are some on The Republican River drainage yet.  I have never seen one in Nebraska but I have some friends that have seen em.

My nephew in Texas says they are a big problem down there.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
Hunting feral pigs in Nebraska is not allowed as far as I know.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
Correct, Dan!  i guess any hunting just makes em smarter.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
I LOVE how someone always comes up with the 'find some way to neuter' strategy... ahhh, stupid people make me laugh.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
I would like to know how the people that would neuter plan to catch them.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Here piggy, piggy! ;D

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
Most of the people that talk about this mean to do it chemically, by adding something to some feed that can be left out that would do it.  There is accually a birth control pill that works on deer that can be mixed into food that has been used in some urban areas to help control their population.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
Mike Streeter is the head of Hunter Education for the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

His position is that, when encountered in Nebraska, the wild pigs should not be shot by hunters.   Mike says that such action disperses the herd and wises them up mightily.

What NGPC wants Nebraska hunters to do is call NGPC immediately and give their location.   They will dispatch helicopter shooters to deal with them.

He says there have been some wild pig herd incursions along the southern border of Nebraska, pigs coming up from Kansas.   NGPC is well aware of and carefully watching the situation.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kruegster

• NFOA Full Member
    • Owner: Kitchen Tune-Up of Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
can they put that in the pop the teenagers are drinkin'?

....................just sayin'
"I refuse to grow up!"

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
Semperfiguy

That is correct. I work for the USDA Wildlife Services and we are the ones that usually get the call to fly to remove the hogs. Kansas started out letting people hunt hogs at Fort Riley, but they get wise and will go nocturnal making it harder to remove all of them. Now Kansas has several populations of them. In fact my Supervisor use to be our aerial gunner in Kansas. Another reason Game and Parks doesn't want hunters to shoot them when encountered they are concerned that some people will become enterprising and release domestic hogs so they have something to shoot. Once the domestic hogs are released into the wild they will reproduce multiple litters a year thus increasing their population. It also only takes a couple of generations for the skeletal structure to change and they revert back to a more wild state. As for the information in the article it is pretty much spot on. Not only will the hogs damage property and crops they can be hazardous to humane health and safety they can also readily transmit disease to domestic hogs.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
Ram Ringer, et.al:

Now you will be getting a flood of applications from all those Former 'Nam-era Slick Helicopter Door Gunners who just want to volunteer their services to restore Nature's balance to Nebraska Wildlife.

And maybe even from One Ol' Hold-'Em-and-Squeeze-'Em Ex-USMC Rifle Instructor from way back in the Korean Police Action Era.

Heck, we'd even chip in for gas for the helicopter.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:51:54 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Semperfiguy

That is correct. I work for the USDA Wildlife Services and we are the ones that usually get the call to fly to remove the hogs. Kansas started out letting people hunt hogs at Fort Riley, but they get wise and will go nocturnal making it harder to remove all of them. Now Kansas has several populations of them. In fact my Supervisor use to be our aerial gunner in Kansas. Another reason Game and Parks doesn't want hunters to shoot them when encountered they are concerned that some people will become enterprising and release domestic hogs so they have something to shoot. Once the domestic hogs are released into the wild they will reproduce multiple litters a year thus increasing their population. It also only takes a couple of generations for the skeletal structure to change and they revert back to a more wild state. As for the information in the article it is pretty much spot on. Not only will the hogs damage property and crops they can be hazardous to humane health and safety they can also readily transmit disease to domestic hogs.

This is all the more reason to make hunting feral pigs legal, at night, with night vision optics...Problem solved!  You're welcome.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »
I could watch these videos all night..

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!