< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How do I go about "making" an AR lower an "SBR"?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
How do I go about "making" an AR lower an "SBR"?
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »
Can you give me a basic rundown on the process Dave? 
Can I use a lower that I currently own, or does it need to be a new, "not transfered on a 4473" lower?
What all engravings are needed on the lower receiver?

Thanks
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Re: How do I go about "making" an AR lower an "SBR"?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »
Any lower will do,  if going the Cleo route then download the form 1 from wibsite titleii.com, download form 5330.20 from there also, get your self a set of ATF marked print cards, from ATF website or a dealer,  fill out forms attatch photos duplicate form 4s duplicate prints, one 5330.20.  Get the CLEO signature send all forms to ATF with a check for $200 and wait.

Name/city/state or accepted abbreviations must be on the receiver or barrel in plain sight.

If you do not want additional markings you can buy a factory SBR or ship the lower you have back to the OEM and they can register and form 4 direct to you across state lines no local dealer needed, if they will.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »
Thanks Dave, what is the usual wait time? 
I think I had better get going on this pretty soon, ya know before all of the "hope and change".... ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »
I would say expect to wait the full 3 months for approval now, no staffing increase with two more states of buyers comming online this year with KS and MO making silencer legal.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline norton1090

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:52:46 AM »
Here is a good FAQ thread on Arfcom  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=22&t=199905

Also, there are a couple of guys with some sbr's on hand for sale in NE right now if you would rather do a form 4 and just buy one already done and registered....don't know that it will save you any time but parts are a really bugger to get a hold of ritght now for a build

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »
http://hero-gear.com/?page_id=40

these are the guys I work with everything on... they are very good to work with, and the basic process is covered on their site...

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
as an update to my post... Exeter Arms has a pretty reasonable SBR on a YHM lower all done and ready to go on a form 4... they are asking $1150...