< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ccw permit. does it negate need to register guns with opd  (Read 1561 times)

Offline jwallweyfoundry

• Forum Member
ccw permit. does it negate need to register guns with opd
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »
I had thought I had read some where here but have been unable to find the reference. If you carry CCW permit in omaha are you still required to register handguns with OPD? I am in process of possibly buying a gun and taking the class but dont know if I have to have it registered with OPD if I buy it in fremont and want to carry it in Omaha.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: ccw permit. does it negate need to register guns with opd
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
You are invited to check out LB430, which was approved by Governor Heineman on May 19, 2009.

Here's a reference;

LB 430, sponsored by State Senator Mark Christensen (44), is a comprehensive bill that deals with four aspects of firearm legislation.  LB 430 will give the state the sole authority to regulate firearms, thus prohibiting cities and municipalities from enacting local anti-gun ordinances.  In addition, this legislation will permit the Attorney General?s office establish reciprocity agreements with states that meet or exceed Nebraska?s current training requirements for Right-to-Carry permits, and  allow for armed security to be present in places of worship, including citizens licensed to carry concealed handguns.  Finally, the bill will allow non-resident military personnel that are stationed in Nebraska to apply for a resident permit to carry a concealed handgun.

NE CHP holders no longer need to register their handguns with the Omaha Police Department.   For what it's worth, I do it anyhow.

Which will Greatly Annoy a few of my Fine Colleagues on the NFOA Forum.  

sfg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:36:01 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
Here is a link to the law that LB430 created, in addition LB817 came back in 2010 and Specifically spanked the Omaha Police Dept for continuing to force permit holders to register their handguns even though they could not.

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=18-1703

18-1703. Ownership, possession, and transportation of concealed handguns; power of cities and villages; existing ordinance, permit, or regulation; null and void.

Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, except as expressly provided by state law, and shall not have the power to require registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act. Any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the act, except as expressly provided under state law, and any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation requiring the registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act, is declared to be null and void as against any permitholder possessing a valid permit under the act.
Source

Laws 2009, LB430, ? 5;
      Laws 2010, LB817, ? 2.
      Effective Date: July 15, 2010

Offline jwallweyfoundry

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the very prompt reply. I had wondered because if you live in a S.I.D. which omaha had yet to anex you wouldnt be required to register. But the min you step out your door and leave you so called neighborhood you would be in city limits and then be in violation of so called registration if you are required to register with OPD. Although I am not so sure how to look at it since you are just transporting a gun then through city limits.
I am not a big fan of Big brother so to speak.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
10 .I have a CCW permit. Do I have to register my concealable firearm with the Omaha Police Department?

Effective July 15, 2010, Nebraska state statute 18-1703 has voided the Omaha city ordinance 20-251, for persons who have obtained a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which means that valid CCW permit holders are no longer required to register concealable firearms with the city of Omaha.

This is right off of the Omaha Police Department webpage. It deals with CCW in Omaha. If you buy a handgun in Omaha from what i hear you still have to register it with OPD but i do not know that for a fact.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
SID = no register.

Offline Brutus Fullman

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
I remember reading in a Omaha World Herald story that the city attorney said that Omaha resident CCW holders do not need to register handguns but the police department would like it if you did.