< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Long Gun Safe... what do you guys use?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
Long Gun Safe... what do you guys use?
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
I need to get something as I seem to be accumulating guns of my own and I usually have one or two of dad's I'm working on at any one time...

I really like the look/feel of the liberty safes, but they seem a bit proud of the product....

fire-rating is important as I'd like to store documents in there too...

thoughts?

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Long Gun Safe... what do you guys use?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »
I consider a gun safe to be way to keep out of the reach of kids.  So for me a wooden one with glass is suffice.

Now if you're trying to keep them being stolen by older kids or thieves, thats different,  However I consider my house my gun safe.

If the only reason you want a safe is for documents, then just get a small fire proof safe and save thousands.

I would like a big safe like that but I can't justify the cost, it cost more than all my guns combined.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
I've been looking at the Zanotti safes.  They're modular so you can take them apart and move them yourself.  That would be a nice feature.  Getting a full size safe into my basement would be tough.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
what to avoid:

You want the BEST safe for the money?

Sturdy safe beats all.  Hands down.  They will cost a little more, but they are worth it.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »
since i don't have kids or live in a bad neighborhood i have a cheap, non-fireproof safe.  its behind locked doors and somewhat hidden in my house and surrounded by concrete walls.  i keep my important documents in a small fire/water proof safe somewhere else.

i think it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much protection you want (theft/fire/etc).  make sure you keep it dry so your guns won't rust.  i have a rechargeable silica gel stuff.

if i had the money and a walk out basement, i would get a large, heavy fire/water proof safe which would be bolted to the floor and wall.  better safe than sorry.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
More firearms are damaged by water than by fire or heat.

(Water from the fire department, almost unavoidable.)
(On many safes the fire resistance seal does not expand until heat activated.)

Fort Knox is one of the best brands, pricey.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »
Forgot to add:  You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about safes in this ARFCOM forum on safes and home security.  There are a couple really good threads about building your own vault/safe room too.  Very informative reading.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=46
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
I like the Liberty safe. My advise is to get a larger one than you think is needed. They fill up fast.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
I have a Stackon with an electronic combination lock.  It's lag-bolted to a concrete floor inside a room with four concrete walls, a corrugated steel ceiling and a steel door.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Since my safe is in my basement, water was a huge issue for me.  I bought a Stack-On Total Defense series GSXW-836. Seemed to have alot if the safety features needed. Safe sits on 4x6 treated timbers lagged to the concrete floor, and the safe is lagged to the timbers. This also sits in a corner of the room so it is against a wall on the back and hinge sides. Makes it harder to tip the safe over to cut thru the back panel. My friend told me that heat goes up ( more of an issue with 2nd or 3rd floors ) and water comes down ( issue in a basement ).  This safe claims to have a 72 hour water resistance in 2 feet of standing water, and 1400 degree ETL rating of 30 minutes, and has lots of locking bolts.  I use a dry-rod and have had no issues with rust. Also have a small document safe that fits on a shelf. Actually a nice safe for the money, and have not had any issues. Yet.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
With determination any safe can be opened.  They keep honest people honest, and are really no impediment to the determined criminal.

A comment on the bottom of that video made a real good point, the video assumes that they can knock the safe over allowing for the crooks to put their full weight onto the tools rather than having to use main strength alone.  Its why safe?s (even the cheap one?s) come with lag bolts.  Bolt the sucker to the wall and it dramatically increases both the effort and time needed to break into a safe.

I don?t have an expensive safe, because I can?t afford one.  But I have a safe.  It keeps my kids out of my guns, it keeps some other important things away from prying eyes and hands, and my wife insisted on one.  Its bolted to the cinder block wall in the basement and isn?t going anywhere without my personal ?OK?. 

Ron

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
I have an older Winchester, not real expensive but not one of the cheap tin things either.  I have it lagged to the floor setting in a corner withe the hinge side out.  You can't push it over and you can't get tools into the area needed to even try to power it open.

Could it be broken into, as someone who has worked with/in security; yes, anything can be broken into.  These efforts just make it harder to do so.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
There is a lot of wisdom dispensed here. I would only reiterate what many others have said:
Buy the best safe you can afford, understanding fire-resistance is not cheap. Get bigger then you think you'll need. Good news for you is gun safes are much more prevalent and affordable then when I got my first one about 12yrs ago.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline shaggy853

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
I spent my money on security cameras.

I have a $600 Liberty from sams club and it fits my needs just fine.  sure, if professionals come into my house they could probably get into it but i cant justify spending $3k on a safe to protect $5k in guns where i am.  with all the ammo in the bottom, 2 people wont tip it over.  and even if they did get into it they might need to worry about the 21 infrared cameras all over the inside/outside of the house that have motion detection and email notification.

my house was broken into shortly after i moved in before the safe and the cameras, havent had anything happen since.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
bleep, I hate arfcom... the attitudes on the site are HORRIBLE...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:23:17 PM by Dark Helmet »

Offline nebman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
I use a Redhead safe with a silica gel pak.

Offline tylersaurus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
More firearms are damaged by water than by fire or heat.

like all those tragic boating accidents.  :'(

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »
I'm thinking about selling the Stack-on that I mentioned earlier if the OP is still looking.  It's a good quality safe that will comfortably hold 10-12 long guns.  I think it's advertised as a 16-gun safe.  It also has an upper shelf where I have one of the wire-rack handgun "systems" that holds about 10 handguns.

The model number is GSB-16E.  I've attached a couple pictures below.  Let me know if you're interested.  I need to order a larger safe.  :)

Looks like it's about $674 on this site: http://www.digitalbuyer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/G/S/GSB-16Eb.png  I'd let it go for less than that.  Make an offer if you're interested.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
How much are you asking?
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills