< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Coyote hunting?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
Coyote hunting?
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »
Where would be a good place to go?  A friend and I would like to just get away from Omaha from 4-5 and hunt Coyotes.

What all do we need to know?  Plan on grabbing an e-call as well.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Coyote hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Honestly, I wouldnt mind doing a bit of that myself.  If you find out anything I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
You might try to look up some guys who have cattle.  My dad lives a long way from where you're looking, but he absolutely despises coyotes especially during calving season.  He carries a rifle with him all the time while calving and plugs them whenever he sees them, since they like to hang around and eye the babies.  I don't know how it is close to Omaha, but in Northeast Nebraska they are thick with them - the last two years I've seen more coyotes up there than probably the previous 10 combined. You might be able to find a farmer who has a coyote problem and wants to thin them out.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Mis-typed in the original post.  Get away for 4-5 days, camping out would be pretty cool.

Good thinking on the cattle, not sure how I would go about finding people who would appreciate a smaller coyote population.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
Some approaches that have worked for me:

>Find your hunting area of interest.   Go to the nearby small towns.   Stop at coffee shop, where all the pickups are parked.   [Be careful NOT to sit in chair of one of the "Regulars".]   Be nice.   Farmers will be there, talking about crop prices, weather, local events, dissing the Government.   Wait respectfully until the right moment.   Ask them.

>Go to farmhouse.   Be nice.   Knock on door.   [If Lady answers, she'll refer you to the Mister.]   Ask the Mister.   Be sure to socialize a bit, unless he's very busy.

>Get NE Game & Parks pamphlets, both public and private lands.   Lotsa places.   Gotta drive a bit.

And when you're ready to go, gimme a call.   Haven't gone after the Yodel Dogs for a while.   Right NOW is prime mating season.   Be sure to use the *****-in-Heat call on your coyote tooter; it's a Killer in mating season.

The yearlings are still just a bit stupid.   But not for long.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
I have the farm ... and I've heard a few coyotes on it from time to time.  It's about an hour and 45 minutes away from northwest Omaha.  Honestly, though, I've never "hunted" coyotes.  I've shot a few over the years because they were there and I didn't want them eating calves or piglets.

Someone with a call and some experience hunting them could get me interested in sharing my land, however.  :)

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
I'd be highly interested in helping if you have livestock at risk.  Clearly, you're on this site, so you can handle things yourself, but if it was giving my friend an I an opportunity to do what we want, and helps a fellow NFOA member, that'd be great.

I have 0 hunting experience, still in college with an Associate's in Criminal Justice, right now at Bellevue U in one of the Homeland Security degrees, going for my BS then my Master's, so all my shooting experience is personal protection/tactical variety, not hunting.

The friend I'd be going with is military, he's an Iraq War vet.  Also not a hunter.

I talked to Game & Parks earlier this month, found out coyotes are non-game animals, so we can hunt with our AR's with no mag limit or other restrictions.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
I wouldn't say that we have livestock at risk.  We lease the land to a farmer these days and he's never mentioned losing a calf to coyotes.