< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Police Department of Facebook  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Omaha Police Department of Facebook
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
Have started asking questions on Facebook with whoever is answering. It is in the "Discussions" category.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=194674844095&topic=21506    is the link so if you want to look in. He does ask one responder what he thinks so if you want to chime in, feel free.

Wilson

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=194674844095&topic=21506

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha Police Department of Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »
An interesting topic...OPD isn't making themselves look all that good.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline ComputerCowboy

• NFOA Full Member
  • R A Manard (R A or Alan)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
It sounds to me like sop is to dispatch 2 cars and face down intarrogate lawful carry in Omaha. Since I do plan to exorcize my open carry rights in Omaha I'm sure I will be able to tell you first hand how it works. I have a cwp which I need to get back from the state patrol, but I digress. See my other post for more on this.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
Has it occured to you that maybe you ought to keep your nose clean for a bit until this is over?  Just a thought.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
What do you mean? It sounds like he wants to get on with his life... with a firearm in a holster.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
Please see form 4473 question 11b.  This question is the same question that pertains to being in possession of firearms.

Further, being charged again for open carry in Omaha without a CHP will only make everything worse.

But what the heck do I know.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:18:50 PM by skydve76 »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »
Sky what does question 11b have to do with anything, missing a sign is not a felony nor is there a prison term over a year?

And a violation of Omaha's open carry without permission odinance is also only a misdomeanor.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
A  firearm infraction will cost you your permit, but hes lost it anyways.  So its moot I guess.    Carrying a concealed weapon, which is what he is charged with, is a felony.  Therefore, being charged prohibits him from possessing firearms.

I just dont understand why anyone would push the limits under such a circumstance. That was my whole point.

I understand you are trying to stick up for a fellow CCW'r but wow.   I can't believe someone in your position would act like breaking the law because its only a misd.  is ok, especially given the circumstances.

Thats not a good position for the NFAO to take up in my opinion.  We shoudl encourage him to keep clean during this critical time.   This could set a court precedent about hard to see signs but if he gets in trouble more it will ruin his credibility and probably cause him to be convicted on all charges.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:46:43 PM by skydve76 »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »
Sky - There's the misunderstanding, he was not charged for carrying a CCW without a permit.  He had a permit and due to a poorly placed sign did not see it and was ticketed for carrying in a posted place, which is a misdomeanor.

We do encourage everyone to keep their nose clean, and I hope that is Cowboy's intent,

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
Please see his post here:
http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2572.msg19356#msg19356

Regardless of that incident, he should not open carry in omaha without a permit.  But ESPECIALLY given the circumstances.  I'm sorry if that makes me some kind of anti gun person, but its the truth.

This while sign thing is BS anyways.  I went to the carwash yesterday and there is a no guns sign.  At the carwash?? COME ON.

Please do not think I am not without sympathy, because his situation can happen to anyone of us.  But the last thing I would do is look for more trouble.  And open carry in omaha, with or without a permit  = trouble
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:53:38 AM by skydve76 »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Please see his post here:
http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2572.msg19356#msg19356

Regardless of that incident, he should not open carry in omaha without a permit.  But ESPECIALLY given the circumstances.  I'm sorry if that makes me some kind of anti gun person, but its the truth.

This while sign thing is BS anyways.  I went to the carwash yesterday and there is a no guns sign.  At the carwash?? COME ON.

Please do not think I am not without sympathy, because his situation can happen to anyone of us.  But the last thing I would do is look for more trouble.  And open carry in omaha, with or without a permit  = trouble

Well you are confused on a number of things. Again, carrying a concealed weapon in Nebraska without a CCW is NOT a felony. Nor is it a felony for a permitholder to carry in a prohibited place.
Also: You are innocent until proven guilty. He has been charged but not convicted.
Now as far as open carry in Omaha. If he doesn't have his CCW or an Omaha Firearm ID card (Omaha Open Carry Permit) then he would be breaking a city ordinance (again just another misdemeanor). If he doesn't have either of those in hand then i would not recommend him open carrying because he would get into more trouble (additional charges).
On the other hand I don't want to see anyone be defenseless but for his own good it would be wise to not open carry in Omaha until he gets his CCW back and/or is cleared of the charges.
Maybe he has a Omaha Open Carry Permit. I don't know. If he does he should be fine.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
AFAIK the charges were dropped a couple days ago.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:13 AM »
I'm glad to hear that. I'll let ComputerCowboy tell us more about what went down in court.