< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lee Factory Crimp Die  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Lee Factory Crimp Die
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I am not often stumped with hand loading but I have a bit of a head scratcher. I am loading for 300 Savage and the die set came with a factory crimp die. Not to complicated to understand how it works but I did run into an issue. When all is done the bulltes are still a bit loose in the crimp. I cant pull them out of course as the die has ingraved the bullet jacket under the crimp but they will still rotate side to side  a very small bit. Indicating that they are not firmly criimped like with a roll crimp. I have taken the die down until the gaps on the collet are closing and the instructions say this is the max allowed crimp with out damaging the die or press. So, if anyone can share some experience with this let me know.
Thanks

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
Did you full length resize or just neck size. With my lees dies on .300 win mag I ran into the same type thing. A friend suggested just neck sizing and that fixed my issue.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
The crimper  can not overcome a lack of neck tension but it can damage the bullet and the neck if overcrimped. 

Is the neck tension (pre crimp) sufficient to keep the bullet tightly seated? Try to push a seated bullet into the case . How much effort does it take to make it move?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »
You have an issue with sizing and not crimp from the way it sounds.  Readjust the sizing die and try again.  If FL resizing don't forget to put a touch of lube on the inside of the case mouths for smoother resizing.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Are you sure the prescription on your eyeglasses isn't out of date and you didn't load .270 bullets?

;D

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »
Are you sure the prescription on your eyeglasses isn't out of date and you didn't load .270 bullets?

;D

Very funny Mr. B
My glasses are out of date but I dont happen to have any .270 around. :P
At any rate thanks to all for the suggestions. I am reloading for a semi-auto so the cases were FL sized. The neck tension seemed to feel right on seating the slugs but this is a new set of dies. I buy the idea its a sizing issue though and will have to look into it from that angle. I will have to get he hole guages out and see what I am getting after sizing at the neck and check the expander ball out to to see what it is.
Hummm. Might even get around to getting my eyes checked and some new glasses too. Most likely going to need trifocals this time. ::)