< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Class III, FFL, NFA etc  (Read 1702 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Class III, FFL, NFA etc
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
Not sure what the difference is, but if someone can give me a discription in a nutshell, and the costs to get the above I would appreciate it.

Excuse my ignorance, but if I wanted to own a full auto manufactured after 1984 is that even possible?

I'd like to get a glock 18 legally if possible, is it?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Class III, FFL, NFA etc
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »
Well, first off, unless you're a dealer you can't own a Glock 18.  Any machine guns made after 1986 are illegal to transfer to individuals.  In general, full auto manufactured before 1986 can be transferred to individuals with a $200 tax.  The Glock 18 is a post-86 manufactured gun.

SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors fall into the same category, but there's no date cutoff.  Newly manufactured items can be legally transferred to you with a $200 tax, or can be manufactured by you with the same tax cost.  I'm waiting on a tax stamp for a 12" AR right now.  That extra 4" off the barrel cost me another $200.  Is it worth it?  I don't know, but it has a high CDI factor :D

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
You'll occasionally hear rumors of a half dozen or so transferable Glock 18s. I think it's pretty unlikely - they first appeared in 1986. To be transferable they would have had to be in the country and on the NFA registry by May 1986.

I think, but do not know, that there were some transferable conversions made with modified end plates. I'm not sure if the upper is registered or just the end plate. I suspect they are worth a bundle, if they exist at all.

There's a few dealers and manufacturers that hang out on this forum. Perhaps they will weigh in.

/rl

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Well, first off, unless you're a dealer you can't own a Glock 18.  

Ok so I can own one, if I become a dealer.  How do I do that?

Did a little research, I would have to do legitimate business, so I would have to try to sell them to local law enforcement?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:32:57 AM by skydve76 »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
The fees r a few thousand every year and there's extensive background and requirements.  If you're really interested ask the experts on ar15.com armors section
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
Start by reading the NFA Handbook, it will answer most your questions.  Money wise you would be better off just buying a couple transferable machineguns which appreciate in value.  Being a Crack dealer who is also addicted to Crack is not a cost effective business plan.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger