< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Emergency Iodine Supplementation In Radiation Dispersal Emergency  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
Cross Posted from http://ar15chatterbox.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4742
This is a draft taken from another web site I visit with permission of the author.
Figured it was full of great information & per the author has gone "viral" so I might as well cut/past it here for anybody that is interested.

Short answers:
1. No Japan isn't putting out enough rads to be a serious concern for us at this time.
2. Yes you should supplement Iodine, although not for the reasons you may think.
3. No you don't need to stockpile the expensive Iodine tablets.
4. Yes there are cheap alternatives and you may wish to consider having some around.

OK here is the draft I knocked out this afternoon between patients. DRAFT, so play nice.

Emergency Iodine Supplementation In Radiation Dispersal Emergencies: A Brief Guide

Dr. Keith Brown, FAAFP (US), FRSTMH (UK)
NOTE: If you will gift me $5 (or whatever) via PayPal (MKBROWN13@YAHOO.COM) I will send the total onto Japan for use by RELIABLE relief teams (rather than media whores *coughGuptaetalcough*).

DISCLAIMER: This is for information only! Iodine is a dangerous material and should not be handled or experimented with. By reading this document in part or in whole you and every person you have ever had contact with or your heirs have ever had contact with or your estate has ever had contact with explicitly absolve the author, poster, website, and every human being alive on the planet now or in the future of any responsibility for the use, misuse, or abuse of this information!

DO NOT SUPPLEMENT POTASSIUM IODIDE OR FREE IODINE UNLESS DIRECTED TO DO SO BY EMERGENCY AUTHORITIES OR MEDICAL PERSONNEL. USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT IF YOU ARE IN A RADIATION DISPERSAL AREA AND HAVE NO CONTACT WITH THE ABOVE. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DECISIONS TO USE OR NOT USE IODINE SUPPLEMENTATION PRODUCTS IN A RADIATION EMERGENCY!

Iodine is a chemical element that is essential to your health and welfare. It is needed for your thyroid gland to make required hormones, plays a role in fertility, resistance to several types of cancer as well as diabetes heart disease and stroke.

Your body is unable to make iodine and MUST recover it from your diet. Iodine deficiency is a serious problem in much of the world and if a pregnant woman is iodine deficient her children may be born with a form of mental retardation call cretinism, which is where the insult ‘you cretin!’ comes from.

Fortunately, most commercially processed salt is now ‘iodized’ and supplies all you need if you have normal thyroid gland function AND are not currently being exposed to significant radiation. Iodized table salt does NOT have enough Iodine to protect you from radioactive Iodine.

Iodized salt is not a .gov conspiracy to control your mind through contaminated food and if you think it is please off and die, or at least sterilize yourself and go live in a cave so you don’t contaminate the world with your idiocy.

Potassium, being a free element, normally is found combined with something, most commonly Potassium, to produce Potassium Iodide or similar stable compounds, often abbreviated ‘KI.’ The standard dose of ‘emergency’ Potassium Iodide for an adult is 130 mg of Potassium Iodide, about 100 mg of free Iodine. Dosing discussed in detail below. The Iodine is the thing, the Potassium is irrelevant, you won’t take in enough to produce ‘hyperkalemia.’ An older form is/was Potassium Iodate (KIO3) and was a lot harder on the stomach. I doubt you will ever see any unless it is in an old stash. Dose just like KI.

The problem with radiation is your thyroid gland is a bit of a slut, and will take a load of iodine the easiest and fastest way possible. In a radiation emergency you may be both inhaling and eating radioactive Iodine… and when your thyroid absorbs the radioactive Iodine the radioactivity goes with it, increasing the risk for damage to the thyroid gland (possibly leading to either too little or too much thyroid hormone production) as well as thyroid cancer. By giving you extra Iodine, we fill up your thyroid gland so it doesn’t take up the radioactive Iodine. It’s not 100% protection, but will help a great deal.

The younger you are the higher the risk, the unborn, infants and small children being the biggest losers. The closer to the ground you are, the higher the risk, as radioactive particles settle to the ground. The more you breathe, eat, and drink in contaminated areas the greater the risk. If you have pre-existing thyroid disease, the higher the risk.
Potassium Iodide or Iodine will NOT protect you from other effects of the radiation on your body. It only protects your thyroid gland.

Thus, .gov has stockpiled iodine, in the form of Potassium Iodide, to hand out if we have a major radiation dispersal event. And you can buy expensive over the counter pills, IoSat the same as .gov has stored, over the counter. But you don’t need to buy that. Knowledge here:

1. The current Chernobyl-sized event (and possible first ever China-syndrome event if the floor of the containment vessel breaches) in Japan is not putting enough radioactive material into the atmosphere to worry about in North America. You get far more radiation exposure daily if you live downwind from a coal fired power plant.

2. You have plenty of iodine on board for daily use if you use iodized salt and have a normal thyroid gland.

3. If you want to have a supply of iodine available in case of a radiation dispersal event in your area, or if you do not store iodized salt in your food storage program (why wouldn’t you?), you can buy the expensive tablets or use one of several perfectly fine alternatives:

a. Pure iodine crystals in bulk (a few ounces of dry crystals per bottle): you can’t buy this any more in any significant quantity due to its ability to make dangerous things, at least not without a license. This is what I store due to its multitude of uses, but c’set la vie for most of you.

b. Polar Pure Iodine Crystals for water disinfection: a very small bottle of dry crystals that makes a super saturated elemental Iodide solution (SSI). Temperature affects the saturation – the warmer the more Iodine in SSI – so we will say that at 70F there is ‘about’ 25 mg of Iodine in 1 drop (defined as 1/3 ml) of SSI. Dosing discussed below. One bottle of Polar Pure will make about 3 ounces or 90 ml of SSI, so you will get about 70 standard adult dose days. Ideal for storage if kept from heat and light, and cheap - $15 for a 3 ounce bottle that provides 70 doses or the ability to treat 500 gallons of water! My choice for prepping. Pack away and forget till needed, will not deteriorate in your (or anyone else’s) lifetime if stored properly. Buy a quality dropper that delivers 1/3 ml per drop don’t guess.

c. Lugol’s Solution: over the counter, get the 5% not the 2 %. This is 85% water, 10% Potassium Iodide, 5 % iodine that when mixed actually ends up as 15% Potassium Tri-iodide Solution, just fine for thyroid blocking. There is ‘about’ 6.3 mg of Iodine in 1 drop of Lugol’s Solution. Dosing given below. Comes with a dropper usually. Good for storage if kept from heat and light. Should not deteriorate to any significant extent.

d. IoSat tablets: the standard Potassium Iodide KI 130 mg tablet for treatment. Handy. Expensive. Good for travel kits – a patient’s hubby was on the ground at Tokyo Narita airport when the earthquake hit and is stuck there now, good thing my exec. travel kit for him had these, huh? Individually sealed tabs, these are what you want for an Uh-Oh supply in the travel kit. Dosing below.

e. Povidone/Iodine (PI) 10% Solution: Available in pads, sticks, and bottles. Don’t use the ‘scrub’ unless you like diarrhea, it has a soap product in it. Ignore the povidone it’s a surfactant that isn’t digested. PI solution contains ‘about’ a 10% Iodine solution, in other words it’s about 1/3 weaker than Lugols’s Solution. There is ‘about’ 4.2 mg of Iodine in 1 drop of Povidone/Iodine 10% solution. Dosing below.

f. Standard water purification tablets: The old military style has ‘about’ 8 mg of Potassium Iodide KI per tablet… swallowing 12.5 tablets daily is not recommended, you will get some awesome nausea. Better to crush the tabs in the bottle to make an SSKI as above. NOTE: many surplus bottles have air leaked or been heat damaged. If they are already crumbling or stuck together or have been open > 3 months they are shot. NOTE: many current water purification tabs are NOT iodine based but chlorine or silver based – won’t help you! Dosing below.

g. Tincture of Iodine 2% - 7%, depending on what you can find. Tinctures (2%) have ‘about’ 4.5 mg iodine per 100 ml – too dilute to be of much use. 2% Free Iodine Solution has 1 mg per drop… still looking at 130 drops for an adult dose. Not very convenient.

h. Various Iodine supplements: They come in a LOT of different strengths. Iodorol is Lugols mix in a tablet, 12.5 mg/tab and 50 mg/tab & SLIGHTLY cheaper than IoSat. Iogen is ridiculously overpriced and too dilute for radiation protection. Ditto Iosol. There are no doubt many others. Remember, many ‘natural’ products have crappy quality control and are very variable on actual quantity of active ingredient. Iodorol is the way to go if you want bulk tablets.

i. Kelp: salt water grown kelp has a strong iodine content. It can be boiled to produce an indeterminate concentration solution. You can soak a piece of paper in the boiled solution, dry, and then expose to sunlight. The faster it turns brown, the stronger the solution. If the solution tastes like metallic crap, you are on the right track. Kelp tablets are available, read the label, typical iodine content is 100-150 MICRO grams per tab so you will be eating a lot of them, not a realistic choice unless you have no other option.

j. ‘Detoxified’/Nacent/Magnanacent/’Cayce’ Iodine: Absolute . Ignore.

4. United States FDA/CDC Recommendations for Specific Groups:

a. Iodine in Pregnancy: Because all forms of iodine cross the placenta, pregnant women should take KI to protect the growing fetus. However, pregnant women should take only one dose total of KI following internal contamination with (or likely internal contamination with) radioactive iodine.

b. Women who are breastfeeding: should take only one dose total of KI if they have been internally contaminated with (or are likely to be internally contaminated with) radioactive iodine. Because radioactive iodine quickly gets into breast milk, CDC recommends that women internally contaminated with (or are likely to be internally contaminated with) radioactive iodine stop breastfeeding and feed their child baby formula or other food if it is available. If breast milk is the only food available for an infant, nursing should continue.

c. Infants: Infants need to be given only one dose total the recommended dosage of KI, see dosing below. The amount of KI that gets into breast milk is not enough to protect breastfed infants from exposure to radioactive iodine. The proper dose of KI given to a nursing infant will help protect it from radioactive iodine that it breathes in or drinks in breast milk.

d. Children: Children internally contaminated with (or likely to be internally contaminated with) radioactive iodine should take KI, unless they have known allergies to iodine. Children from newborn to 18 years of age are the most sensitive to the potentially harmful effects of radioactive iodine.

e. Teens & Adults To Age 40: Young adults (between the ages of 18 and 40 years) internally contaminated with (or likely to be internally contaminated with) radioactive iodine take the recommended dose of KI. Young adults are less sensitive to the effects of radioactive iodine than are children.

f. Adults older than 40 years: should not take KI unless public health or emergency management officials say that contamination with a very large dose of radioactive iodine is expected. Adults older than 40 years have the lowest chance of developing thyroid cancer or thyroid injury after contamination with radioactive iodine. They also have a greater chance of having allergic reactions to KI.

5. Iodine Supplementation Side Effects, Complications, Emergencies:

a. Normal side effects include;
i. Nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, diarrhea, metallic taste in the mouth, fever, headache, runny nose, sneezing, or acne may occur

b. Complications include:
i. Burning mouth/throat, sore teeth/gums, swelling inside the mouth, increased saliva, eye irritation/swollen eyelids, severe headache, swelling of the front of the neck/throat (goiter), signs of decreased thyroid gland function (e.g., weight gain, cold intolerance, slow/irregular heartbeat, constipation, unusual tiredness), confusion, tingling in hands/feet.

c. Emergencies include:
i. Chest pain, black stools, vomit that looks like coffee grounds, bloody diarrhea, swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing, fever with joint pain, unconsciousness, death.

6. Standard Dosing Guidelines:
a. NOTE: These were recently reduced; make sure you are not using the old ones! These daily doses represent what is currently believed to be the minimum effective doses for Potassium Iodide for thyroid blocking in a radiation dispersal event.

b. Duration? Till .gov says you can stop, or you exit the contamination zone AND are decontaminated, or you experience serious side effects, or you run out.

c. REMEMBER: You MUST know if you are using Potassium Iodide (KI, SSKI, IoSat = 130 mg Potassium Iodide adult daily dose); or Free Iodine (I, SSI, Polar Pure, Povidone/Iodine, Iodine water tabs, Kelp, supplements = 100 mg Iodine adult daily dose) as these each have DIFFERENT mounts of Iodine in them!

d. Dose Potassium Iodide (KI)/Free Iodine (I):
i. Pregnant: 130 mg KI/100 mg I; One Dose Only unless directed otherwise
ii. Breastfeeding: 130 mg KI/100 mg I; One Dose Only unless directed otherwise
iii. Infants birth – 1 month: 16 mg KI/12 mg I; One Dose Only unless directed otherwise
iv. Children 1 month – 3 years: 32 mg KI/25 mg I daily
v. Kids 3 years – 18 years: 65 mg KI/50 mg I daily
vi. Adults/anyone above 150 lbs: 130 mg KI/100 mg daily

Links with some more good info taken once again from the forum the above article was posted in.

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/natural.htm

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/ (I live at ground zero--a nuclear site)

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/02/16/going-bananas-over-radiation/
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson