< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Help me with spotting scopes !  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Help me with spotting scopes !
« on: December 21, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »
Folks, I am in the market for a spotting scope. There is a very large, confusing amount of info in the interwebz that I am wading through, but my basic question is ... best spotting scope for under $200

right now my search has found one good candidate, The Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B001DX7Q8W/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

which can be had for $190 via Amazon.com from OpticsPlanet.

Anyone have knowledge in this area? I am wanting to see .223 holes at 200 yards. Beyond that I will employ Shoot-n-C targets for better results at 300-600 yards, which I read makes it much easier to see the holes at long range. I would also require an eye relief spec that will allow viewing with glasses on, which I gather is around 15mm minimum
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:38:14 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Help me with spotting scopes !
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »

right now my search has found one good candidate, The Konus Konuspot

Dan'
I pointed this same scope out to my wife for a possible X-Mas present.
May be able to give you a review in a week. Will be out of town to CA. for a funeral this coming weekend. If you are in no hurry I will let you look at it. That is allot ifs. Has majority of good reviews. Sounds like zero customer support.

Here is one reviews.
www.biographys.com/product/c0014/3168061/B0007UQNUY.htm

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:29:11 AM by Randy »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »
Randy I decided to go ahead and buy the Konus ...found some very good reviews in the arfcom archives and one particularly interesting one here made up my mind for me

http://www.inlandshooters.net/index.php?contentid=112
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
The Konuspot model 7120 20-60x80mm spotting  scope arrived today, and I did some preliminary testing out in the yard. The tripod is not very good, but after a  little WECSOG work, I tightened up the quick release mount attachment to the tripod and the loose screws everywhere and I had a useable base.

At 20x this scope is clear and bright with good eye relief. Since most of my range work will be at 100 yards, the 20x setting should be the most used. Two  features I really like are the scope mount's rotation ring combined with the angled eye piece. Makes for very convenient viewing from all angles with a few simple adjustments.

After a bit I cranked the eyepiece up to 60x. I was a little worried that the eye relief would be a problem, but even after installing a Butler Creek flip up lens cover on the eyepiece, (lucky me I had a spare that fit sitting around) I still had sufficient eye relief without glasses, and it was still useable with my reading glasses on. I could easily read my neighbors maibox letters at 300 yards, but that was about as far as I could test in the front yard.

The real test will  come at the range in the warmer weather, when heat mirage becomes a factor, along with trying to resolve .223 holes at very long distances. To help out in overcoming my low end budget for Optics, I will employ Shoot-N-C targets at 300+ yards. The larger holes(splatter) and better contrast, makes seeing bullet holes a much easier task with a  budget spotter.

Over all, (so far) I am happy that I have received a fair spotter for my money.

Maybe if a warm day comes along soon I will get a chance to try the scope on an actual rifle range

If ya see me out at the Lincoln Ikes Rifle range, stop and check it out in person.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:57:52 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder