< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Indiana Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home  (Read 1330 times)

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
INDIANAPOLIS | Overturning a common law dating back to the English Magna Carta of 1215, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Hoosiers have no right to resist unlawful police entry into their homes.

In a 3-2 decision, Justice Steven David writing for the court said if a police officer wants to enter a home for any reason or no reason at all, a homeowner cannot do anything to block the officer's entry.

"We believe ... a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," David said. "We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest."

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_ec169697-a19e-525f-a532-81b3df229697.html

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Indiana Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:54 PM »
One more brick chipped away from the foundations of our country.  I fear by the time I have grandchildren there will be nothing left.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
Un effing believable  :o
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
WTH?  First "illegal immigration" is supported,  and now "unlawful police entry" is not enforced.  What part of 'not OK' don't these people get? 
No wonder our kids are so hard to control these days;  'No' just doesn't mean what it used to!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
Good thing I don't live in Indiana. Bust down the door and get a face full of lead at my place!!!
WØCHF

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
Before you get too worked up, you better check Nebraska law.  In Nebraska it is illegal to resist law enforcement even if the arrest is illegal.  I am not near my work computer so I don't have the law handy.  It is in the self defense section.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
Before you get too worked up, you better check Nebraska law.  In Nebraska it is illegal to resist law enforcement even if the arrest is illegal.  I am not near my work computer so I don't have the law handy.  It is in the self defense section.
I'm pretty sure illegal arrest and illegal entry are two wholly separate issues.