< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Should Teachers Be Allowed To Carry Guns To School?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Should Teachers Be Allowed To Carry Guns To School?
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:29:18 AM »

Geoff Oldfather: Teachers should be allowed to carry guns to school
By Geoff Oldfather

Article With Polls
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/04/teachers-left-out-of-gun-06/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Sunday, January 4, 2009

MARTIN COUNTY ? We entrust teachers with the lives of our children and give them enormous responsibility.

We expect them to not only teach "reading, writing, 'rithmetic" and a dozen other subjects, we increasingly expect them to handle responsibilities like sex education and "anger management" and other issues that used to be dealt with in the home.

Why then do we deprive teachers of their basic right to self-defense?

Take the question further. If it involved self-defense at a school campus, the lives of our children are probably at stake as well ? and we're going to expect teachers to protect our children with what? A textbook?

It's a valid question as the Martin County School District and other districts re-write their policies prohibiting firearms at schools to be in line with Florida's "bring your guns to work" law that lawmakers approved last April and took effect in July.

The law allows Florida residents with concealed weapons permits to keep firearms in their cars at work, even if employers have a policy prohibiting firearms.

Except at schools.

Other workplaces where you can't have a firearm in your car are correctional facilities, nuclear power plants, military and government buildings and anywhere explosives are stored.

The exception for teachers, especially, does not make sense.

"Why is it that a person can be trusted on one side of a school parking lot and not on the other side?" Stuart attorney Jeff Kirsch asked.

Kirsch is an advocate for responsible firearms ownership, as I am. He's handled firearms-ownership cases and is chairman of the National Rifle Association Foundation's Martin County chapter annual dinner and fundraiser.

"I think teachers ought to be treated like anyone else. Schools used to be like any other job and for whatever reason we've now carved out some kind of 'safety zone,' and it just doesn't make sense," Kirsch said. "We don't trust teachers to make the right kinds of judgments? Isn't that what they're paid for?"

Superintendent Nancy Kline calls it "a tough issue."

"Should there be adequate security? Absolutely, and we're reviewing with the (Martin County) sheriff's office the levels of security at all campuses," Kline said.

"But should that be something teachers are involved in? I don't know," Kline said.

I do.

We don't like the idea of guns on an airliner but today's reality means pilots are packing heat.

So, teachers should be allowed to have firearms in their cars even at school. I'll take it further: Considering how vulnerable our campuses and our students are, if teachers are trained and have concealed weapons permits that require background checks and training, they should be allowed to carry them wherever they go.

Even in the classroom.

Martin County columnist Geoff Oldfather can be reached at (772) 221-4217 or geoff.oldfather@scripps.com. Plus, catch Geoff Sunday mornings from 8 to 9 a.m. for live talk radio on The Coast, 101.3 FM, or the Coast Forum.

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Should Teachers Be Allowed To Carry Guns To School?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
As a security officer at a college, I would be very comfortable with teachers, staff and students carrying a firearm. In light of past shooting at GFZ's the population of these areas are sitting ducks. Since the politcols feel that GFZ's are safe , lets remove all firextinguishers , heck we haven't had a fire in a long time.

Offline tylersaurus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
I'm a teacher and I've been following this conversation nationally for a couple months. I think it started somewhere in Texas - of course ;)  I'm hopeful, but I don't really think it will get much traction outside of TX.

I don't have a CCW yet, but am working towards getting it. (pistol before permit)  If I had it and could legally carry at work I would.

I'm not sure having a gun in your car would really help anyone, unless you were in your car when something happened.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »
If you can be trusted to carry a firearm, you should be able to carry that firearm anywhere. Criminals do.

Offline FlyFleance

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
At the high school where I teach, I'm the designated last man out.

I have to close the doors to the stairwell up to the second floor.  If an armed intruder his coming up those stairs, I've gotta face him and get the doors shut to protect the second floor.  Should I carry a weapon?  Yeah! Or take one for the team!

I also am the last man DOWN the stairs during tornado drills.  Any wonder why I'm retiring? 

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »
At the high school where I teach, I'm the designated last man out.

I have to close the doors to the stairwell up to the second floor.  If an armed intruder his coming up those stairs, I've gotta face him and get the doors shut to protect the second floor.  Should I carry a weapon?  Yeah! Or take one for the team!

I also am the last man DOWN the stairs during tornado drills.  Any wonder why I'm retiring? 

No wonder what soever.
Technically it is against NE law though.
What people due is there own business.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
With Christensen's bill we could have CCW in churches, where have most of the mass killings taken place? In schools.  ???   I believe there needs to be a provision to arm security personel in schools and universities, colleges also.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
With Christensen's bill we could have CCW in churches, where have most of the mass killings taken place? In schools.  ???   I believe there needs to be a provision to arm security personel in schools and universities, colleges also.

Hallelujah!  I am all for folks carrying concealed anywhere as long as they have the CCW permit, which means the proper training.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan