< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'

http://nation.foxnews.com/guns/2011/05/25/obama-were-working-gun-control-under-radar

On March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, Jim Brady, who sustained a debilitating head wound in the attack, and his wife, Sarah, came to Capitol Hill to push for a ban on the controversial "large magazines." Brady, for whom the law requiring background checks on handgun purchasers is named, then met with White House press secretary Jay Carney. During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, "to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda," she said.
"I just want you to know that we are working on it," Brady recalled the president telling them. "We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."

read more at the link

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
My guess is they are 'exploring' all these options and they'll be implemented very shortly after the 2012 election. I would be surprised if Obongo's a big enough idiot to move on this prior the election....but then again the depth of his idiocy is amazing. 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
I am torn...

On the one hand I see how he might try to implement such liberal policy if he is elected for a second (and final) term because those four years will be his last hurrah. 

On the other hand, the president is largely a puppet of his party.  Considering how the original AWB legislation affected the Democratic party, maybe they will push for him to not start that fight.  Especially considering the grounds that 2A supporters have recently made in the courts.  Maybe they will see it as a fight on principle with no happy ending for them.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
I am torn...

On the one hand I see how he might try to implement such liberal policy if he is elected for a second (and final) term because those four years will be his last hurrah. 

On the other hand, the president is largely a puppet of his party.  Considering how the original AWB legislation affected the Democratic party, maybe they will push for him to not start that fight.  Especially considering the grounds that 2A supporters have recently made in the courts.  Maybe they will see it as a fight on principle with no happy ending for them.

Fly

I agree with your other hand, I don't think it will happen. And really, it would never pass congress now anyway would it? I can't think so. I'm sure he said whatever he needed to make the Brady's happy that day, like any politician would.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
I agree with your other hand, I don't think it will happen. And really, it would never pass congress now anyway would it? I can't think so. I'm sure he said whatever he needed to make the Brady's happy that day, like any politician would.

I agree that no major anti-gun legislation is going to pass this congress but one of the main points of this article is the administration is specifically looking at options that BYPASS Congress. IE, executive orders, bureaucratic rulings, etc. I suppose the current proposal to ban 'non-sporting' semi-auto shotguns would fall under this.  I suppose in absence of some 'comprehensive' gun control bill they'll resort to death by a thousand cuts.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
I went to the original source cited, the Washington Post piece.  It looks more like the Administration trying to tell Sarah Brady something so she will just go away.  The author of the WaPo piece is very anti and he seems more upset that nothing will be done than hopeful of some regulatory shenanigans.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
I agree with Hardwood, I don't think we have to worry too much about anti-gun legislation.  What we do have to worry about is the administration using executive orders and bending existing regulations to restrict gun rights.  They've made it clear they're more than willing to skirt the law to get their way.