< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thinking about Para PXT Hi Cap SA 9mm 3"  (Read 1627 times)

Offline jwallweyfoundry

• Forum Member
Thinking about Para PXT Hi Cap SA 9mm 3"
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Anyone tried this one. I am in debate over this one or a Springfield EMP.  I looking for a ccw but still in debate over which 1911 style gun might be best.  Any one used either? More leaning toward Para ord.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Thinking about Para PXT Hi Cap SA 9mm 3"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Full sized 1911 style of weapons are not the best for CC.  But most companies make smaller more concealable versions of the 1911, and many of those are good options.  Personally, I usually carry an XD-40 Sub Compact.  Tiny, good solid round, and for a sub it has a good number of rounds in the mag.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline jwallweyfoundry

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
The para pxt is a 3" barrel sub compact but it has 12+1 rounds 9mm.  I like the larger capacity and the 1911 style. I may still end up with xd it is on the short list just have always liked the 1911 style.   I am curious if anyone out there has experience with the 1911 style sub compacts. I like the 45acp as well just you loose alot of capacity when you bump up in caliber. They say just be able to hit the target and you  dont need the rounds. But I have also hear that in a gun fight you will dump more rounds than you need without even knowing it so less rounds from that point of view would be better.  Maybe I am just looking for a reason to buy more than one gun  :o 

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
I purchased a 9mm EMP in January.  I now have it broken in but I need to send it back to S.A. as it will not drop a hollow point round in the chamber out of the mag if I hit the mag release.  I would say 95% of the time it just slams the round into the ramp which sounds like a pretty common deal with these.  They realign a thing or two and polish the ramp and supposedly no more problems.  Other that that I love this gun, no jams other than stated above, no fte's, only feed issue is the one stated above, once firing it has never jammed or failed to feed. And extremely accurate for a 3" barrel. 
I also carry a XD-40 SC.  This is a great little gun, never had any kind of feed issue, jam, nothing.  The only down side is I have found I shoot a little more consistent groups with the EMP (could be the shooter also).
And it is a little chunkier of a gun so it tends to be a little less comfortable for me to carry all day long in my Tucker gunleather "Answer" than my EMP and a little harder to conceal when tucking.  Hope this helps a little.

www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com