< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: South Dakota Prairie Dog Hunt  (Read 2183 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
South Dakota Prairie Dog Hunt
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Warning:  Graphic prairie dog carnage in last pic.

On Tuesday my brother in law, my nephew, my brother in Law's uncle and two cousins all trekked way up to Martin, South Dakota for a prairie dog hunt.  The wind was blowing about 40 mph so any shots over 100 yards were a real crapshoot with those light varmint bullets and the way the wind swirled around in the hills and valleys.  We were taking shots out to 300 yards, and sometimes the bullet would strike right at your point of aim, while other times it would be blown off 3-4 feet.  The wind was blowing so hard that there was an almost constant fine mist of sand in the air, so by the time we got done my AR was the filthiest I've ever seen it.  You could hear the sand grinding away when you worked the bolt.  Plenty of CLP kept it running just fine though.

This was the first time hunting prairie dogs for my brother in law, my nephew, and myself, so we weren't exactly sure what to expect.  We had a blast, and my nephew did a great job with his new .22 mag.  It didn't have the range to reach out much past 100 yards in this wind, but if they were any closer he was deadly.  This kid also killed his first deer (a huge 4x4 muley) last fall, so I'm pretty sure we have him addicted to hunting & shooting.

I thought I would post a few pictures.  I was having so much fun I didn't get around to taking many, but here they are:

Packing up the night before.  I didn't want to bother with loading mags while I was out there.  Our guide looked at me as I pulled yet another mag out of my shooting bag and asked how many of those things I had.  Good thing AR mags are cheap.

The far hill side was right at 300 yards according to our range finder.  I found shooting a semiauto was a big help, since I could get 3-4 aimed shots down range in the time it took a bolt action to shoot one.  That was nice in this wind when it often took several tries to hit the longer range shots.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that prairie dogs are cute little harmless creatures who don't really do that much damage.  We saw several places where they had destroyed huge patches of ground.  They will wipe out all plant life for acres around.

Just a couple of the guys doing their best to thin out the population.

I'm not sure that V-Max or other fancy varmint bullets are necessary.  A plain old Hornady 55 grain soft point really does a number on them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:53:24 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: South Dakota Prairie Dog Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
please take me with you next time.  it looks sooooooooooo fun.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
Sounds like my last PD shoot.  Windy, cloudy a little rainy and a whole lot of fun!

I'm game if someone wants to get a trip together.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »
epic carnage is correct.  I'm going to have to do this one day as well, but i doubt the mauser or m44 is really suited for PD shooting.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Your 7.65 Argentine would work just fine but going through a couple hundred rounds would get expensive.  If you're thinking about going I think it would be worth it to find a used .223 bolt gun somewhere, just for the ammo savings. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
I see a black rifle in my future anyway, your expertise would be appreciated in that respect, there is a new thread.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Your 7.65 Argentine would work just fine but going through a couple hundred rounds would get expensive.  If you're thinking about going I think it would be worth it to find a used .223 bolt gun somewhere, just for the ammo savings. 

This is my prairie dog shooter.  Savage 110 with the old style trigger.  I bought it used off of Gunbroker.  Pretty sure I was at less than $600 all in.