< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Flooding in Nebraska  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Flooding in Nebraska
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
Do we have any NFOA members in the path of the flood?

I am unable to physically tote sand bags right now due to a knee problem, but I was wondering if there is anything else NFOA members could do to lend a hand
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
Re: Flooding in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
This may be harsh, but I had a thought as i drove out of town this past monday heading north on I-29.  I remembered those living in a bowl, below sea level and right next to the sea, IN AN AREA BELOW SEA LEVEL RIGHT NEXT TO THE OCEAN AND RIGHT NEXT TO A HUGE LAKE, BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE LAKE WATER AS WELL.  New Orleans.  ...Get my point?  I can't even say (type) it here cause it just sounds like something that someone would say simply to raise blood pressures.  You know tho, what my thought was that day and deep inside you must agree with it on some level.

Peope need help, and it is good to help.  I wish I had a good answer to your question, maybe you can call county offices and they can direct you.  Too bad our economy is in such shambles, it would be good to be able to help families move out of the Missouri River flood plain...  Seems that is the only truly long term help that would be completely effective.

ADMIN-  WARNING SENT
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
I've been working on a primer for before and after the flood. The information below has been gleaned from a number of sources as well as personal experience.  Hopefully it helps some of our members.

Prior to a Flood

1. Make a plan and practice a flood evacuation route with your family. It is very likely that your usual exit routes will be closed to traffic. Look for a route that makes use of high ground with as few bridges as possible. Assemble an emergency/evacuation kit to support your plan. Here on this site we might commonly call this kit a bug-out bag (BOB). Make sure you have all the essentials necessary for a good BOB as well as any additional specific items that might be needed in the event of a flood.

2. Establish an emergency contact well out of range of the area in which there is potential for flooding. This individual should have all of your contact information as well as information regarding your planned evacuation route. Keep this individual up-to-date on your plans and activities.

3. Program emergency and flood information phone numbers into cell phones. If you have a smart phone, bookmark informational websites.

4. If you have any family members with special needs, get out well in advance of any impending floods. Don't wait until the last minute to move your bed-ridden aunt Gertrude!

5. Know how to turn off electrical power, gas and water in your home and turn off utilities before you evacuate.

6. Gather your emergency/evacuation supplies so they are close at hand. You may need to leave your home quickly if flood waters rise faster than anticipated.

7. Review your family members' immunization records. Know the date of each family member's last Tetanus shot.

8. Store outdoor items like patio furniture, grill, etc. inside to avoid having them swept away.

9. Keep your vehicles' gas tanks filled. Filling stations along your evacuation route may be disabled or under water. As my granddad used to say, "It doesn't cost any more to keep the top half of the tank full than it does the bottom half."

10. Gather essential documents and include them in your emergency/evacuation kit.

11. Clean drinking water may be in short supply. Fill containers with as much clean drinking water as possible.

12. If you have pets or livestock, make sure they are included in your evacuation plan.

13. Keep an eye on the weather and know the terms.
A. Flood Watch - Flooding is possible.
B. Flash Flood Watch - Flash Flooding is possible
C. Flood Warning - Flooding is occuring or will occur soon; consider evacuating immediately
D. Flash Flood Warning - Flash Flooding is occuring or will occur soon; consider evacuating immediately

14. Move larger items to a safe area well in advance if you have ample warning. Otherwise, take only the essentials when you evacuate.

15. Do not attempt to drive or walk across creeks or flooded roads. If you can't see the bottom, it may very well be much deeper than it was previously. Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars, potentially causing loss of control. A foot of water will float most vehicles. Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) and pick-ups.

16. Keep both an on-road GPS and a paper map in your vehicle. You may very well need to re-route as you evacuate.

17. If you have a multi-story home, consider moving key items to the upper floor.

18. Consider keeping 12 volt chargers for cell phones and smart phones in your vehicle. These devices may very well be your best link to information. You don't want their usefulness to be overcome because of a dead battery. Often, text messages will go through even when cellular phone calls will not.

Returning After the Flood

1. Throw away food that has spoiled or that may have come in contact with flood water. Clean the exterior of any canned goods with soapy water and rinse them in a bleach solution of one cup bleach to five gallons of water.

2. Assume that tap water is unsafe to drink until local authorities designate it as safe. Be careful when bathing or showering. Avoid getting potentially contaminated water in your mouth, eyes, nose and ears.

3. To kill bacteria in water by boiling, hold water at a rolling boil for one minute. If you are unable to boil water, add 1/8 tsp. of newly purchased, unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Stir water well and allow to stand thirty minutes before drinking. Do not use "purified" water for infants if possible. Use only newly purchased bottled water.

4. Use a solution of one cup newly purchased, unscented bleach in five gallons of water to clean and purify items that have come in contact with flood waters.

5. If you have to work in an area where flood waters are still present, wear a life jacket.

6. Avoid damaged and potentially unstable buildings.

7. Avoid wild or stray animals.

8. Watch for fallen power lines - particularly in areas where water is still standing.

9. Wear protective clothing and gear when cleaning up, including eye protection when working with bleach solutions.

10. To prevent mold growth, clean up and dry out buildings as quickly as possible after the water has subsided (24-48 hours). Open windows and doors. To prevent mold growth clean wet items with detergent and water. To stop mold growth, clean items with a solution of one cup bleach in one gallon of water. Dispose of pourous items such as carpet, padding, upholstered furniture, etc.).

11. Be aware of the impact of both physical and emotional strain. Stay cool, hydrated and clean. Wash your hands frequently. If water isn't available utilize sterile wipes (a great item for your emergency/evacuation kit).

12. Avoid sunburn while working outdoors. Utilize sun block (another great item for your emergency/evacuation kit) and try to work in the shade as much as possible.

13. Avoid heat-related illness while working outdoors. Rest frequently and stay hydrated.

14. Wear waterproof boots and heavy rubber gloves to avoid skin contact with flood waters.

15. Clean HVAC systems before use.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
Thank you!

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:04 AM »
Good stuff. You put together a nice collection of SOPs for dealing with a flood-specific disaster.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »
Good stuff. You put together a nice collection of SOPs for dealing with a flood-specific disaster.

Appreciate the compliments.  Some of it was gleaned from various website.  Some of it, unfortunately, has been learned first-hand.  My in-laws flooded out last year up near O'Neill.  It looks like it could happen again this year.