< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is it possible to be prepared if you're traveling by air?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Is it possible to be prepared if you're traveling by air?
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
I know we have an employee of the TSA on this site.  This post is in no way intended to disparage him or the fine job I'm sure that he does.  However, we've all seen numerous incidents involving overly-aggressive or poorly trained TSA agents doing outrageous things.

In this context a number of my friends were recently surprised to find that I regularly travel by air with a kit in my computer bag that contains a number of items that could be useful in an urgent or emergency situation.  I really don't like being unprepared so this kit is critical to me.  I've carefully reviewed the TSA's website and list of prohibited items to ensure that nothing in the kit is prohibited.  Some may surprise you.

For reference, the TSA's Prohibited Items list is located here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

The TSA also offers a PDF of the list, which I've downloaded onto my Droid.  You might want to print off the list and put it in your kit if you decide to assemble one yourself.  That way when an agent opens up the kit to review the items, the helpful list is right there at their fingertips.

PDF of List: http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_items_brochure.pdf

One other thing I've decided to do going forward is to carry a padded envelope with a mailing label affixed to it.  That way, if a TSA agent decides that he or she doesn't care what the list says and won't let me carry something on board, I can mail it home to myself and not have to worry about running it back out to my vehicle.

For this kit, I'm using the Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer.

Exterior of Organizer (a few business cards in the mesh pouch)

Interior of Organizer

Contents

1. First Aid Kit (bandages, sterile wipes, water purifier tabs, anti-septic ointment, etc)
2. 1 Liter Zipper Bag (for water storage & purification)
3. Notebook
4. ITW Field Shield (sun block & insect repellent)
5. Lens Cloth
6. Medical Shears
7. Polymer Pry Bar
8. 1X4 Technician's Mini Screwdriver
9. Highlighter
10. Tick Tweezers
11. USB Drive
12. Sharpie
13. Doc Allen VersaTool
14. Tool Bits
15. PocketWrench II
16. Starbuck's Gift Card
17. ITW Marine Whistle

I have yet to have a TSA agent question me on any of this stuff, but there's always a first time.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Is it possible to be prepared if you're traveling by air?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
a Starbucks gift card?  really?  :)

It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
a Starbucks gift card?  really?  :)

Yup.  A card like that - particularly one you don't mind damaging - is useful for all kinds of things.  :)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »
Although I refuse to go anywhere I have to fly, I can vouch for the usefulness of the Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer.  My BOB has one stuffed with goodies!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline TerryLane

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
LA Police Gear had a clearance on Maxpedition pocket organizers a year or so ago and I bought several in a variety of sizes. Yep, they're very useful.

In answer to the original question...nope, which is why we don't fly anywhere, anytime.

Take care.
Terry Lane
NRA Life
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Appointed Training Counselor
Nebraska Concealed Handgun Instructor

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
Well, some of us don't have the luxury of refusing to fly.  So, I go as prepared as I can.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
One more thing you could add to your list...a parachute.  Most airlines will let you carry on your rig.  Of course, depending on the altitude you exit, you might have to have some kind of oxygen.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum