< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hybrid Leather/Kydex IWB Magazine Pouch Project  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Hybrid Leather/Kydex IWB Magazine Pouch Project
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
It seems that vendors of IWB hybrid magazine pouches are very proud of their work - at least if you look at the price tags.  I'm sure they do quality work but it seemed to me that making such a pouch wouldn't be all that difficult.

I picked up a Kydex press last fall and made a couple projects before things got crazy with the holidays.  Today I had a few spare minutes so I decided to dig it out and try my hand at a hybrid magazine pouch.  About a month ago I picked up a toaster oven for something like $7.00 on a garage sale so I didn't have to clutter/stink up the kitchen by heating the Kydex in our oven.  This pleases my wife greatly.   :D

I have to say, it really wasn't terribly hard to make this rig.  I think I spent longer looking for my tin snips, to do the rough cut on the Kydex, than I did making the thing.

Once I decided on a design, I cut the Kydex to the rough dimensions (within 1/8") that I needed.  I heated up the toaster oven to 275 and popped the Kydex in on the little plate that came with the oven.  I set the timer for 10 minutes and turned around to get my press set up.  When I turned back, the Kydex was "cooked".  The toaster oven heats up a LOT faster than my kitchen oven.  Having learned a valuable lesson, I cut another piece of Kydex and set the timer to 5 minutes.  Perfect.  Pliable but not cooked.

Out of the oven and into the press.  I set the press and went to grab a bite of lunch.  After lunch, out of the press and down to the basement to cut some leather.

A few rivets and a couple clips stolen from one of my CrossBreed holsters later ...

I think it came out pretty good for my first one.  Retention is excellent with the Glock magazines as you can form the Kydex into the notch for the mag release.  Yet, the mags draw smoothly and easily.

Next project is a hybrid holster for my Glock 20.  Not a lot of companies out there making IWB holsters for the 20.  :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Hybrid Leather/Kydex IWB Magazine Pouch Project
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Jeeeeez, Loo-eeez.............

You even got the Crossbreed crosses on it.

Looks like you're ready to start taking orders.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
Looks nice man! 
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
Jeeeeez, Loo-eeez.............

You even got the Crossbreed crosses on it.

Looks like you're ready to start taking orders.

sfg

Maybe ... in very limited quantities.  :)  It's rare for me to find the free time to work on these kinds of projects.

The CrossBreed clips were just because I didn't have any others on hand.  I'm planning on putting some like these on.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
Let me know when you are ready to tackle that.  Kinda leaning towards a CZ-82 in the near future, having a nice IWB Kydex would be appreciated.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.