< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Getting to know you.....Kent Rogert, Judiciary Committee  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Getting to know you.....Kent Rogert, Judiciary Committee
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
Some one recently suggested thet we should get to know the Senators we need to bring around to our way of thinking, So in that vein, Here is a Bio of Kent Rogert, although it is from a less than credible source ;)

Fresh faces: Kent Rogert
 By JoANNE YOUNG / Lincoln Journal Star
Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 - 12:01:27 am CDT

My folks still live at home on the farm. My brother, three years younger, lives in Kansas City. He works for a company called JE Dunn, basically it’s the Peter Kiewit of that part of the world. He’s a project manager for them.

My dad farms. Mom works as a secretary at the elementary in Tekamah.

Our farm is a grain farm … corn and soybean farm west of Herman, Nebraska, out there a little ways.

District: 16, Tekamah

Elected: November 2006

Family: Parents Diane and Dave, brother Kevin

“I think we’ve made everybody see we are very capable and we’re energetic. And maybe throwing a little humor and fun into the mix is OK. We can still be serious, but we can have a little fun.”

I went to the University of Nebraska here in Lincoln, majored in ag economics. I actually went to college with the full intention of having nothing to do with agriculture.

College was a great time. I wouldn’t trade it. I liked the diversity. I joined a fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta. It was a nice break from crazy college fraternity downtown life to get in a car and drive to East Campus.

Political science classes I took in college? Zero.

I attended Camp Connealy, Matt Connealy’s two-day (campaign training program) on what you need to do and what money you have to raise to run for office. I left early. I thought there was no way I was ever going to be able to do that.

I live in Tekamah, but I have a condo in Lincoln. And I have a crash pad in Omaha, so I’m kind of all over.

The social life of a single guy in Tekamah? Not so good.

I try to be pretty active physically so I belong to a gym.

For the last year I’ve become a mountain biker. There’s a lot of good trails around the Omaha area. I ride on more of the aggressive trails, so not necessarily the hard surface trails, out in the hills and over the trees and things that can get you hurt.

I fall off quite a bit. If you’re not falling off you’re not trying hard enough. Usually when I fall it’s because of some hill that is right after you make a corner and you have to go up and you slip and over you go. I’ve had a few where I just flew completely off the end of the handles.

The day of the election I and my friend who got me into this mountain biking thing went out to Platte River State Park in the afternoon. That’s one of the more challenging trails in the area and it was the first time I’d been there.

She’s very good and so I try to keep up with her, which is a mistake. I was coming down a hill across a creek bed and I hit something and launched and landed seven or eight feet away from the bike. So all I was thinking was, ‘I’m going to have to go to the emergency room on the day of my election.’ I was bleeding pretty profusely on my arm.

The Saturday of the big snow storm I strapped on a snowboard for the first time ever and went out to Mount Crescent for the entire day. It’s just north of Council Bluffs a little ways. It was fun. I couldn’t walk for four days.

I go on vacation every chance I can, which becomes less and less all the time. My annual pilgrimage in the summer a couple of times is down to Lake of the Ozarks.

I have a boat so we take it down there. I love my boat. That’s the thing I love the most.

It’s a 28-foot Baja, open bow, so it’s loud. It holds a lot of people and creates a lot of fun.

This particular boat I got in 2001. I’ve had several boats, but this is my favorite. It had a name that came on it … but we’re changing the name to Public Figure. My friend came up with that name.

I grew up on the Missouri River. I’m a river rat. Tekamah is about nine miles from the water.

We also go wakeboarding at Lake Manawa. It’s a smaller board like a snowboard, only it’s for the water. It’s an alternative to waterskiing.

The water issue that I’m more interested in is  recreational, and expanding those (uses).

I used to be a TV watcher, but then I started running for office. But DVR is great. I use that to record a few things. The only things I’m avidly watching now are “24” and “Grey’s Anatomy.”

I’m a gadget geek. I have GPS equipment, my Palm phone, my laptop, MP3 players, stereos in boats and cars and things like that.

I get all my e-mail (on my phone). That’s pretty important. And I’m kind of a texting maniac. I have a thousand (text messages) a month, at least. It’s very freaky (how fast I can do it.) People are like, ‘how did you do that?’

I love music. That’s another thing, I have XM Radio. I listen to country, hard rock, pop. I went to the Nickelback concert, and I  bought tickets to Kenny Chesney, as well.

I go to classical music things, too. Shows at the playhouse and all types of the arts. I like it all.

But it’s pretty hard to beat the ’80s hair band rock. Poison and Motley Crue.

I was a band geek in high school,   a trumpet player. Actually, I played about seven different instruments.  I play piano. I can play any drums. I played bass guitar for a while, but I can’t play that anymore.

I play in Tekamah’s Chamber of Commerce band once in a while. A  horn band, a bunch of retired guys, business folks. They’re called the T-Bones.

I like European culture a lot. But if you look around the world, everybody always wants to do what we’re doing. They want to wear our clothes, listen to our music. And yet, we seem to take those things for granted.

I wish that we would be a little more open to accepting other people’s cultures and their habits and their food.

I love different types of food. Food from other cultures is, maybe, the greatest thing. I’ll try anything. I love to experiment with food.

My new favorite thing is sushi.

I really like Mexican food. I could eat it almost every day. I really like chimichangas, but those are really bad for you. Frying things is just the way to go. But I could just eat nachos all the time. I like cheese.

I haven’t cooked a meal since I got here. I bought some groceries, but the only thing I’ve made is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. One, maybe two, that’s it.

There’s always an event, a lunch, a breakfast. My evening meals may not be all that good for me because a lot of it is just heavy hors d’oeuvres at some reception.

They try to make it so we’re not bogged down with cooking.

Senators in my generation are not afraid to question the way it’s been done. To say, ‘This is the way it’s always been done,’ doesn’t mean it’s the right way.

Reach JoAnne Young at 473-7228 or jyoung@journalstar.com.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Getting to know you.....Kent Rogert, Judiciary Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
  and from another forum....

The Guns Network LLC

NE - Lawmaker wants to keep guns with Nebraskans after disasters

Associated Press - January 22, 2008 2:05 PM ET

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Should disaster strike and chaos ensue, Nebraskans could be forced to give up their guns, under current law.

That's what happened in New Orleans, when police seized guns after Hurricane Katrina walloped the city in 2005.

But a state lawmaker wants to change the rules so that cities and other political subdivisions in Nebraska couldn't do the same.

Under a bill (LB1076) from Senator Kent Rogert of Tekamah, neither the state nor political subdivisions could enact special restrictions on guns during emergency or disasters. The law would apply to gun possession, storage and use, among other things.

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit against New Orleans city officials over the city's seizure of firearms after the hurricane.

Steve Mace
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3138642#post3138642
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:32:03 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
  Introducer's Statement of Intent
  LB 1076 

Chairperson:    Brad Ashford
Committee:    Judiciary
Date of Hearing:    February 21, 2008

The following constitutes the reasons for this bill and the purposes which are sought to be
accomplished thereby:

The purpose of LB 1076 is to protect a citizen’s 2nd
 amendment rights during a state of
emergency.

LB 1076 prevents a government entity or law enforcement agency from confiscating legally
owned and possessed firearms from law-abiding citizens, and also guarantees that citizens will
be able to protect themselves when presented with a situation when and where police or other
law enforcement personnel may not be available.   

This bill does not apply to those engaged in criminal acts, or those who are not legally entitled to
possess a firearm.   

Principal Introducer:     
  Senator Kent Rogert

I have emailed Sen. Rogert about an update to this bill's status
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:02:05 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »
The Senator replied quickly

Hey Dan,

1076 died at the close of session last April. I hadn't considered its re-introduction but wouldn't be against it. I have a fairly full plate this year already but we shall see what this next week brings. Thanks for the inquiry.

KR
krogert@leg.ne.gov

Maybe we could get this bill introduced again with a little email campaign

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »
My reply:

Senator Rogert ,

I am writing today to ask again if you have considered further the
re-introduction of LB1076.

I would be very supportive of your attempts, as would all of my family and
friends.

I would also like to ask for your support for LB430 that Sen. Mark
Christensen has introduced.

As a holder of a Nebraska Concealed Handgun permit, I am finding it very
difficult to remain inside the law while carrying concealed. Many times
the actual location that might make me a criminal is unmarked, and more
likely unknown, even to the Nebraska State Patrol and the Police officers
that patrol the streets in these areas.

Attorney General Jon Bruning's recent opinion has brought this problem to
the fore front. I think now is the time to take another look at some of
the deficiencies in the Law concerning legal self defense in Nebraska, and
the carrying of concealed handguns.

I believe that LB 430 addresses these issues quite well and again I ask
for your support for LB430

Thanks for your service,

Sincerely,

Daniel W
Lincoln NE
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
I think an email campaign to Sen. Rogert could bring back the Katrina bill LB1076 from last session and get him thinking our way about self defense .

What say you....I say git-r-dun
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »
To get LB430 out of Judiciary Committee is going to be a big feat considering that at this point in time we can probably only count on 3 definite supportive Senators on the committee: Christensen, Coasch, and Lautenberg.  Definite no-no folks are: Ashford, Lathrop, Council. And very questionable, leaning to anti are the remaining two: McGill and Rogert.

I hope it doesn't, but LB430 may die in committee.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »
Tell me how you know that about Lathrop,  or Rogert for that matter.

Their leanings are mostly unknown and it is our job to bring them along to our side.

If Kent Rogert were an anti gunner, why would he propose a bill like LB1076?

I don't know the answers to these questions....yet
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
Both Lathrop and Rogert don't get the greatest reviews on Joe's Crabby Shack that he has posted on his blog relative to these two.

Based on what you have posted re Rogert's support on LB1076, it is purely my own opinion that he is an unknown or "not sure" relative to LB430.  Protecting folks from having their guns taken away (LB1076) is a whole lot different than LB430 that would preempt cities/municipalities from setting their own restrictions.

That's why I agree that communications to Rogert would be helpful....but I would also add McGill...and then getting other Senators to nudge these other two; it can only help.

Joe's Crabby Shack blog: does it hold credence?  It sounds like he has some inkling re Lathrop.  I would love it to be otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:55:12 AM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »
I disagree that there is a big difference between the idea of preventing cities from banning CCW and preventing cities from confiscating weapons during an emergency. Both ideas lean toward central control of firearms related issues, rather than having a different rule in each location. 

As to my friend Joe, he is very good, but not all knowing. I have asked him the same questions about Lathrop and Rogert and even Colby Coash, and he is just wanting more hard evidence of their leanings. Doesn't really say they are pro or anti...just unknown.

I am trying to convince them, not just rate them
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »
Both ideas lean toward central control of firearms related issues, rather than having a different rule in each location. 

I stand corrected.  I don't want "central control of firearms" either.  Good point!

Hopefully enough of them on the Judiciary Committee will be convinced so that the bill gets out onto the floor!
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
Both ideas lean toward central control of firearms related issues, rather than having a different rule in each location. 

I stand corrected.  I don't want "central control of firearms" either.  Good point!

Hopefully enough of them on the Judiciary Committee will be convinced so that the bill gets out onto the floor!

Aldo, you appear to be, at least to me, confused as to the meaning I give to "central control'.

The current situation is that local political subdivisions are enacting their own ordinances concerning the posession, transport and carrying of concealed handguns, or "local control"

The attorney general has opined that only the state has that power, or "central control".

LB430 would make it law that the local laws are void and that the "central" state law rules all areas of the state or "preempts" them

We want "central control" to eliminate the checker board of confusing local bans
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder