< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Polymer Lower?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Polymer Lower?
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
Anyone here shooting any AR with a polymer lower?  There's a guy on another forum that I frequent who's selling complete polymer lowers to forum members for $125, shipped.  They are made by A.R.M.S. Technology/PLUMCRAZY Manufacturing.  That seems like a pretty good deal for a complete lower and I like the idea of the lighter weight of the polymer - only 8.8 oz. without a stock or buffer tube.

Here's a pic ...

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Polymer Lower?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
Interesting...if you get one i'ld like to put hands on it after the build.  I was lookign into complete uppers with a stock, but i planned on swapping on some magpul goodies.

Wonder how they hold up over time/several hundred rounds...?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »
Interesting...if you get one i'ld like to put hands on it after the build.  I was lookign into complete uppers with a stock, but i planned on swapping on some magpul goodies.

Wonder how they hold up over time/several hundred rounds...?

The vendor selling them on the other forum has never had one come back with a failure.  The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews.  I think most people have had good luck but I've heard of some problems.  The plastic fire control group turns me off.  Too bad you can't get Cav Arms lowers anymore.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, I'm planning to get one so we'll see if I blow my face off. :)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
I own one, got the complete lower about 15mos ago for $115 shipped (IIRC) from a place in So Carolina. I use it with with a dedicated .22lr upper- fired about 100rnds through it this afternoon actually.  It is very light and has held up fine after about 2000(?) rounds of .22LR and I'm glad I got it.... That being said there have been a number of reported failures on ar15.com- mostly 'the neck' breaking where the buffer tube screws in. As cheap as regular lowers are now days it's hard to justify unless you just want one and have realistic expectations, which was the case with me.

Here is a pic, obviously I painted it so you can't see much detail:

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
There's a police officer over on LightFighter.net whose entire department ordered a bunch of Plum Crazy lowers. A huge amount of them broke and it's been a giant cluster f*** for them.

I'd recommend against it for anything other than a cheap range toy or a .22LR plinker.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Mine arrived on Thursday.  My upper is still on its way.  First impressions were pretty good with the exception of the magwell being a little tight.  I've tried a GI mag and a Magpul PMag and neither will drop free.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:32:31 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »
There's a police officer over on LightFighter.net whose entire department ordered a bunch of Plum Crazy lowers. A huge amount of them broke and it's been a giant cluster f*** for them.

I'd recommend against it for anything other than a cheap range toy or a .22LR plinker.

I heard about that. Why would you use a new, untested product for a hard-use duty weapon? Because it's cheap? Stupid is as stupid does. I agree with your assessment- PC lowers have their place and it's not as an issue weapon.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
The dealer is putting a new lower in the mail today.  They've built and sold hundreds of rifles on this lower with zero problems.  I guess I'm just lucky. 

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »
Why is he sending a new lower?  Is it because of the drop free issue, or just getting another one?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Why is he sending a new lower?  Is it because of the drop free issue, or just getting another one?

Because of the drop-free issue.

If the new one turns out OK and doesn't blow up in my face ... then he might be putting another one in the mail.  ;D  I really like the trigger and lower weight.