< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for AR-15 suggestions  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Looking for AR-15 suggestions
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
Fly... take a look at the pics in this link.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2096.php

There is one that shows the barrel profile. I think this is the same barrel as the upper you are considering, less the YHM diamond HG's.

The picture shows a profile that is very much like the A2 profile that my middies  have, and I think that is what you may be looking for.

If the white barrel is a turn off, they can be colored with Aluma Hyde from brownells or KG Guncote

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11062/GunTechdetail/Brownells_Spray_on_Finish_Video_Guide___Chapter_6___Aluma_Hyde_II

If you can live with different rail that the YHM Diamond you like, I would highly recommend this upper, and BCM is at the top in quality in most peoples minds

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-MI-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20mit12.htm

But they do not include a Bolt carrier group or charging handle so your budget would look like the national debt...just keeps growing
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
Got the following in an email today and remembered you wanting the 1-9 twist.  Not sure if anything else in the deal works for you though...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

M4 Upper Special!!

Del-Ton, Inc. is offering a 16'' M4 1x9 Chrome Moly Vanadium (CMV) Barrel Assembly with F-Marked Front Sight Base, M4 Feed Ramps and HPT & MPI Tested Bolt @ $385.00 each!  Usually $415.00 each, saving you $30.00!  This is a limited offer, good while stocks last or for 1 week, so don't delay, order yours today!

AR-15 16'' DTI M4 CMV 1x9 Barrel Assembly w/ F Marked Front Sight Base, Product Code: DT1009
Sale Price $385.00 each.
AR-15 16
 This Complete upper includes 16'' M4 CMV Chrome Lined 1x9 twist Barrel, F-Marked Front Sight Base, Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps, AR-15 Bolt and Carrier assembly - properly staked and sealed gas key -  HPT & MPI Tested Bolt, Charging Handle and CAR Handguard.  These are head-spaced and test fired.  Ready to drop onto a complete lower receiver.
Please remember these are built to order.

Click on the links above or visit the web site www.del-ton.com for more information, complete technical specs and to order.

Use coupon code AUG130 at checkout.  This offer is for a limited quantity and is valid while supplies last or until end 08/08/2011 EST, which ever is first. So don't delay, order today!

This offer is good while supplies last.

To receive these discounts  you must enter the coupon code in the ‘coupon code box’ at check out.  This is Caps sensitive!  Make sure once you have entered the coupon code that the discount is applied to your order.  We will not apply coupon codes to orders for you, once your order is placed it is final, so make sure to use the coupon codes at check out!    Offer is subject to change or cancelation without notice.  If you have any questions please call 910-645-2172 or email sales@del-ton.com.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks Dan...The PSA kit I was looking at was this one.  I asked PSA about the SS in 223 Wylde and they said it was considered a "light" barrel because of tapering.  They don't carry the rifle length YHM handguards so it would have to be mid-length YHM or a different brand (and +$).  I watched that "Alumi Hide" video and I think that is something even I could do.  :D

metaldoc...thanks for the info.  I just saw that same email from Del-Ton in my inbox.  I was hopeful that it would fit the bill, but it is lacking a few items on my wishlist.  Thanks though.  I appreciated all the help I can get.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
Fly, that kit and a $50 PSA lower would make  for a pretty nice (and inexpensive) Rifle
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Fly, that kit and a $50 PSA lower would make  for a pretty nice (and inexpensive) Rifle

That's what I was thinking too.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Ok...settled on the PSA mid-length kit with a few upgrades.  I have some Magpul Gen 2 flip up front/rear sights on the way.  Was also considering a reflex sight, but the price tag of an EOTech is a little out of my reach.  I have read a few good things about the Mueller Quick Shot (here). 

Anyone have opinions about the lower to mid price reflex sights?

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
I have a Vortex Strikefire that I'm happy with.  I used to use it on my 3 gun rifle until I switched to a scope, but since my scope went belly up I'll probably go back to the dot until I have the cash saved up for a Burris Tac30.  Eventually the Vortex will go onto a .22 SBR upper I'm building.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
I got a UPS Quantum shipping notification from Palmetto State Armory stating the expected delivery date of my upper would be September 21.  When it did not show up I sent an email the next day and they said that the label for shipping was created (which also generated the email to me) the day the armorer received the build order.  So it takes up to seven business days to complete the build.  That could mean it wont ship until next Tuesday.  Argh! The waiting is killing me and the little carrot dangled in front of me for delivery on the 21st has not made it easier.

Fly
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:17:53 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Ok...settled on the PSA mid-length kit with a few upgrades.  I have some Magpul Gen 2 flip up front/rear sights on the way.  Was also considering a reflex sight, but the price tag of an EOTech is a little out of my reach.  I have read a few good things about the Mueller Quick Shot (here). 

Anyone have opinions about the lower to mid price reflex sights?

Fly

I had one that looked identical to that but had no name on it.  It was a piece of crap.  Reticles were distorted and not very bright. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
An important consideration with optics is customer service. I just bought a Vortex scope because they have a unbelievable reputation for customer and warranty service. They have an industry forum over on AR15.com and everyone raves about their service.

I have heard some really good things about Mueller too  , but you should do a little research on them
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
I got my rifle and it is mostly built.  The barrel is a Wylde with a 1 in 8 twist.  From what I have been able to find on AR-15.com and other sites, the bullet weight that is suggested for this twist is 45 - 80+gr.  Would the experts here on the forum agree?

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »
Yes... I think 1-8 twist is ideal.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
I'm partial to the 75 grain Hornady BTHP for accuracy work with my 1:7.  For cheap blasting stuff I load bulk 55 grain FMJ.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »
I'm partial to the 75 grain Hornady BTHP for accuracy work with my 1:7.  For cheap blasting stuff I load bulk 55 grain FMJ.

I was looking at reloading with heavier 69-80+gr bullets for some of the Ikes High Power matches.  My friend has the equipment and he said he would help me out.  I think he is more excited about me getting an AR than I am.  I have been using a spreadsheet to calculate cost per round, and from what I have been able to figure out, I am not going to save much (if anything) by reloading the heavier match rounds.  Though I know to get custom rounds that are best matched to my barrel, I will need to hand load.  That will be a winter project.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is my new baby...

• Palmetto State Armory (PSA) lower
  • PSA LPK
  • Ergo ambi grip
  • PSA flat top upper
  • 16" Mid-length Wylde barrel
  • Low profile gas block
  • Midwest Industries T-12 free float handguards
  • Magpul MOE aluminum trigger guard
  • Magpul MOE Mil-spec CTR stock
  • Magpul flip up front/rear BUIS
Fly
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:33:34 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Here is my projected cost...

Let me know if you think I am missing something.

Fly

Here's my parts list/budget from my first AR build: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArLNNKBoiaQodDkxUC1JZmZYM2RQQXlLOWRxMnFudHc&output=html

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Here's my parts list/budget from my first AR build: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArLNNKBoiaQodDkxUC1JZmZYM2RQQXlLOWRxMnFudHc&output=html

Here is what you end up with if you use the components I indicated in the spreadsheet. (See attached)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 09:39:21 AM »
Here is what you end up with if you use the components I indicated in the spreadsheet. (See attached)

A nice looking gun.  I am thinking about my next build and was considering going with an upper chambered in 300BLK.  That sounds like a very effective round.

Fly

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
except that stock is no longer available.:(  I know, i looked.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
I was looking at reloading with heavier 69-80+gr bullets for some of the Ikes High Power matches.  My friend has the equipment and he said he would help me out.  I think he is more excited about me getting an AR than I am.  I have been using a spreadsheet to calculate cost per round, and from what I have been able to figure out, I am not going to save much (if anything) by reloading the heavier match rounds.  Though I know to get custom rounds that are best matched to my barrel, I will need to hand load.  That will be a winter project.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is my new baby...

• Palmetto State Armory (PSA) lower
  • PSA LPK
  • Ergo ambi grip
  • PSA flat top upper
  • 16" Mid-length Wylde barrel
  • Low profile gas block
  • Midwest Industries T-12 free float handguards
  • Magpul MOE aluminum trigger guard
  • Magpul MOE Mil-spec CTR stock
  • Magpul flip up front/rear BUIS
Fly
I reload often. Always remember that while the cost per round is similar or the same, you're getting a premium precision product. Of course, that is after you mess up a whole bunch of them and spill gunpowder all over.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
except that stock is no longer available.:(  I know, i looked.

I kind of figured that at a $25 price point that stock, buffer tube, buffer, spring, end plate, and castle nut deal had to be some kind of close-out.