< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for AR-15 suggestions  (Read 10986 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Looking for AR-15 suggestions
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Greetings,

I have purchased my first AR-15 lower from Palmetto State Armory.  I am thinking about building a tacticool rifle with flat top upper, free float mid-length handguard, collapsible stock, flip up front and rear sights, and a piston conversion (ARES Defense Systems, Inc.?).

What I need help with is the handguard/upper.  I really like the looks of the LMT MRP, but not the price.  anyone have any input on a similar handguard and/or upper that would be similar?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Looking for AR-15 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
I found this...

Aero Precision COP

Anyone have any experience with this?

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
If you're looking to go with a monolithic upper the Aero Precision one is about the lowest price you'll find.  It's still pretty spendy but I've heard they're nice.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:01 PM »
Thanks for the input bkoenig.  Maybe I will just go with a free float handguard like the YMH Diamond series.

I was going use a mid-length barrel with flip up sights (front & rear) so I wanted the handguards to cover the gas block (likely a low profile?), so what length handguard should I get?  Would a specter length do it?

Thanks,
Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »
I think the Specter length will just barely cover a mid-length gas block.  You could also use a 12" rifle length.  I've always thought a 15" would look cool on a 16" barrel since it would come all the way out to the flash hider.

I used a Midwest Industries SS 12" on my 18" barrel rifle length gas and I'm very happy with it.  It gives you that monolithic look, and you can add rails anywhere you need them.  It's light weight too.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Kind of like this one from PSA?

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2243.php
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
If you are still thinking about a piston driven upper, you are limited to rails that are made to fit over a piston actuator rod.

Other wise I am kinda snobbish when it comes to rails and I only use Daniel Defense. I have 2 Omega rails and 1 Lite rail. Very light, very strong and a small profile that I prefer over the larger diameter and therefore heavier designs like the Midwest Ind one I first tried
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I was wondering if the piston system would put some limits on my build.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
Awesome input guys...thanks.  I have to say that I am not a big fan of the "tube" look.  Even though you can deck it out with rails, it just does not say "sexy" to me like the handguards with four rails built in or at least with that appearance like the Aero Precision COB.

I am working on a spreadsheet (yes I am a slight computer geek ;D) so I can get a rough idea of the end cost.  If anyone sees something I am missing, please let me know.

The one thing I don't think is accurate in my list is the cost of the handguards.  Since I want some that will cover the mid-length gas port, I will have to get a Specter or rifle length, AND they will likely have to be a style that fits over a piston system.

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Does the ARES kit include a  dedicated bolt/bolt carrier?

You should make sure you are not buying 2 carriers, one with the Delton Upper and one piston style  that is needed for the ARES kit.

I know it is best to use a carrier specially designed for a  piston setup where the OP rod engages the carrier, instead of a retrofit that replaces the gas key. The retro kits had some problems breaking gas keys and bolts IIRC
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
Yes...the ARES comes with a bolt carrier and I selected "No Bolt" on the Del-Ton kit.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
Does the Ares kit include the entire Bolt Carrier Group or just the carrier?

One thing I would recommend is to skip the MOE stock and go with a Magpul CTR.  I have the MOE and it doesn't lock up real tight.  The CTR has a friction lock so it doesn't wiggle like the CTR.  I plan to upgrade at some point.

I do like the MOE stock a lot other than the wiggling.  That and it catches my beard and pulls my whiskers out  :o
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:55:53 PM by bkoenig »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
Does the Ares kit include the entire Bolt Carrier Group or just the carrier?

One thing I would recommend is to skip the MOE stock and go with a Magpul CTR.  I have the MOE and it doesn't lock up real tight.  The CTR has a friction lock so it doesn't wiggle like the CTR.  I plan to upgrade at some point.

I do like the MOE stock a lot other than the wiggling.  That and it catches my beard and pulls my whiskers out  :o

Thanks for the input bkoenig.  The ARES website says it includes a one-piece, anti-tilt, bolt carrier.  Here is an excerpt from their instructions...

I've been reading about the CTR.  PSA also has a CTR kit for a reasonably good price...$119.99.

Fly
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:34:22 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
Looks like that's just the carrier.  I'm a big fan of BCM bolts, but Daniel Defense, Spikes, and PSA are all good too.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Looks like that's just the carrier.  I'm a big fan of BCM bolts, but Daniel Defense, Spikes, and PSA are all good too.

You are correct sir.  This piston rifle is getting more expensive by the second.  If I buy a bolt, will that be all I need to complete the action? Like a cam pin, etc.?

Fly
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:34:25 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
You may also need... a cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retainer, and make sure your bolt is complete (with rings, extractor, extractor spring, extractor pivot pin,  ejector pin/spring) and make sure you have a charging handle with latch.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
You may also need... a cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retainer, and make sure your bolt is complete (with rings, extractor, extractor spring, extractor pivot pin,  ejector pin/spring) and make sure you have a charging handle with latch.

Oy vey!  So now what I am thinking, maybe it would be wise to order the upper with the complete bolt and carrier for the additional $65.  That is the amount they would deduct from the upper if I did not include the bolt and carrier.

Fly
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:28:46 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »
To be totally honest, I just don't see the need for a piston driven AR.  I built my 18" from quality components (White Oak Barrel, BCM bolt carrier group & upper receiver) and the only malfunctions through several thousand rounds have been one squib that didn't cycle the action, some reloads that were too long to feed through a Pmag, and a 40 round CMMG mag that had a bad follower that kept hanging up and not feeding.  Nothing that was related to the gun itself.  About a month ago I ran 300 rounds through it in 90 degree weather with 40mph winds in blowing sand.  It was filthy inside when I got done, so I gave it about the 3rd or 4th complete cleaning it's ever had. 

Pistons are cool, but I would personally rather put the extra cash towards a nice optic.  There's really nothing wrong with them, but if you're looking for reliability I don't think they really gain you anything.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
To be totally honest, I just don't see the need for a piston driven AR.  I built my 18" from quality components (White Oak Barrel, BCM bolt carrier group & upper receiver) and the only malfunctions through several thousand rounds have been one squib that didn't cycle the action, some reloads that were too long to feed through a Pmag, and a 40 round CMMG mag that had a bad follower that kept hanging up and not feeding.  Nothing that was related to the gun itself.  About a month ago I ran 300 rounds through it in 90 degree weather with 40mph winds in blowing sand.  It was filthy inside when I got done, so I gave it about the 3rd or 4th complete cleaning it's ever had. 

Pistons are cool, but I would personally rather put the extra cash towards a nice optic.  There's really nothing wrong with them, but if you're looking for reliability I don't think they really gain you anything.

I'm not too worried about reliability since I am not going to be a hard core shooter.  Just a plinker.  Primarily, I was thinking about the cleaning aspect.  I don't mind doing the thorough cleanings.  I actually find it therapeutic.  It is just hard to find the time.

With that said, since I won't be putting the rifle through any torture tests, maybe I will just go the easier/cheaper route and order a gas operated gun.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
Ok...back to plan A.  Going with a gas operated system to keep cost down.  Looking at nice to have options.  What are the opinions about the following?

MIAD LPK from Palmetto State Armory - $79.95 (Has Magpul curved/enhanced trigger guard and MIAD grip)

PRI Gas buster Charging Handle - $75.00

-OR-

Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch $17.00

1x7 -OR- 1x9 rifling (heavier bullet-tighter twist?) Is there a bullet weight that is more available and/or less costly?

Magpul 30 round magazine

Flash Hider options
     Phantom 5C2 $20
     Phantom Aggressive End Compensator/Brake $20
     Phantom $20
     Vltor VC-A1 $50
     Vltor VC-A2 $50

Thanks again,
Fly

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:41:29 PM by OnTheFly »