< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gotta brag a little  (Read 1149 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Gotta brag a little
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
I think my 6.8 SBR is showing promise.  I haven't shot it much yet other than getting it running correctly, so tonight I took a few different handloads to the range and tried it out.  The groups tightened up as the loads got hotter, culminating with this group:

Now, this was only at 50 yards, but I'm pretty impressed considering this was shot with flip up iron sights, shooting into the sun.  I was having trouble seeing the target with the sun in my eyes, so I have a feeling the low flyer is shooter error.  Plus, the sight radius on a 12.5" barrel doesn't leave much room for error.  I have a 1.5-5 scope that I need to get mounted on this thing so I can see what it can really do.

By the way, muzzle blast from a 12.5" 6.8 SPC at max loads is brutal.  :o  After the first couple of shots I doubled up on the hearing protection.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:40:31 PM by bkoenig »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Gotta brag a little
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
What kind of velocity are you getting out of the shorty, bk?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
I'm not sure, I don't have a chronograph.  I need to stop buying guns and pick one up....

I've read of other guys getting around 2600 fps with a 16" barrel with this same load.  The 12.5" loses about 140-150 fps from a 16", so I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2450.  If I zero it at 200 yards it should be about 3" high at 100, so I think this should be a decent deer load. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
That's pretty sweet, bkoenig.

You ever make it over to ENGC? If so, I'd love to meet you there and check out your SBR.  ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
I shoot 3 gun at ENGC but I'm not a member so I've never shot there otherwise.  Maybe I'll use the sbr sometime.  The extra recoil will make it a lot slower than my regular rifle but it would be fun to try.  I would need a brass catcher though.  This brass is too expensive to leave on the range.