< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LPK's: Palmetto State Armory or Stag?  (Read 8514 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
LPK's: Palmetto State Armory or Stag?
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
i need opinions/suggestions.  what LPK would you put in your AR15 lower, a Palmetto State Armory or a Stag Arms?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: LPK's: Palmetto State Armory or Stag?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Stag has (had?) a very good rep for LPK's when I ws building mine, But at the time all the top level stuff was backordered, so I went with DPMS.

So far the DPMS kits have been great
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »
I have both a PSA and a Stag.  The Stag has a much better trigger. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the top 5 LPK's  all use the same suppliers
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
im asking this because i have two stripped lowers.  i bought a PSA LPK and plan on using it, but then again Rod has a Stag LPK that i was eying last time i was at his store.  so i might just break down and buy a Stag LPK and put that in my other stripped lower.  im just so indecisive ....

Brian, how come the Stag has a better trigger?  what makes it better?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »
The Stag has a slightly lighter trigger with a lot less creep.  It still has a tiny bit but not bad for a stock kit.  Both of mine have un-notched hammers which is required if you ever want to run a 9mm or .22LR upper.  I'm not sure if they still come that way though.

I think Dan is right, most of them come from the same supplier.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
In my experience, the trigger in a LPK is a crapshoot.  Sometimes they're OK, other times they're pretty lousy.  I've built with Stag and DPMS kits and have had no problem with either.  Arfcom users haven't had major problems with LPKs from Spike's, Palmetto, Stag, or RRA.  The big gripe with DPMS is that some of their roll pins are very tight to install. 

Tools and knowledge make the biggest difference.  If you don't know what you're doing or don't have the right tools, your LPK install will be a big PITA and may result in scratched or broken parts (support those trigger guard ears!!).

If you want a very nice trigger, check out the offerings from Geissele.  I have their SSA (Super Semi Auto) model and it's everything I want in a carbine trigger.  The SSA is their semi-auto version of the SSF trigger (Super Select Fire).  The SSF is currently in service with some military units, according to Geissele.

If the price tag of the SSA scares you (around $170, street), Geissele just came out with the S2S (Super 2 Stage) that is priced around $125. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
i got my PSA LPK and i noticed i don't have a trigger at all.  but i do have two hammers.  i have a thread on arfcom about my problems with my delivery.  its getting to be a pain.

anyone want to tell me if i have all the right parts?  (sorry for the messy pic)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
Looks like you might be missing a trigger/hammer pin? Must be with your missing trigger...... I've gotten 2 MOE lpk's (among other things) from PSA and they've all been fine, as others mentioned the triggers aren't spectacular, but solid and they definitely had all the parts included.

Not that it helps you (or is an excuse) but PSA has gotten very popular of late and is selling a LOT of uppers, lowers, parts kits etc because their prices are so low and quality is good. My guess is they've gotten so busy they are missing details. On their site they are asking to allow 2 weeks to get orders shipped right now, if that tells you anything. I would think they'll get you fixed up, but might be a hassle.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
Has anyone tried the Spikes Tactical Battle trigger?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA01BT&name=Spikes+Tactical+Battle+Trigger&groupid=53

I've been thinking of a new trigger for my 3-gun rifle, but I don't really want to go all out with a competition trigger.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
i have the MOE LPK.  here is their new Generation 2 which is what they are selling now.  i think i got the Gen 1 LPK.  are those missing parts in the trigger?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1361.php

ps - if you haven't noticed, i've never done this before, so i don't know what all the parts are called or where they go.  so all the help i can get is good.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »
well they told me they are shipping out a trigger to me first thing tomorrow morning.  yay!  that was faster and easier than i expected.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
i have the MOE LPK.  here is their new Generation 2 which is what they are selling now.  i think i got the Gen 1 LPK.  Are those missing parts in the trigger?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1361.php

ps - if you haven't noticed, i've never done this before, so i don't know what all the parts are called or where they go.  so all the help i can get is good.

I am no authority since I have only built a few lowers, but if I can do it anyone can. Youtube has some step by step vids and I found this link helpful the first time: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
here is a standard lpk:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:45:03 AM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
There is a thread with plans for a Build Party somewhere once everyone gets thier goodies in a pile.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
There is a thread with plans for a Build Party somewhere once everyone gets thier goodies in a pile.

yeppers!  ill be ready very soon.  we talked about where to have it, but then it went dead.  ill revive it when i get all my parts.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
Has anyone tried the Spikes Tactical Battle trigger?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA01BT&name=Spikes+Tactical+Battle+Trigger&groupid=53

I've been thinking of a new trigger for my 3-gun rifle, but I don't really want to go all out with a competition trigger.

I have one.  It's better than a standard trigger, but nowhere near as nice as a Geissele (I have an SSA as well). 

Next time you romp past Exit 332, let me know.  You can swing by and pull them.  Had I bought the SSA first, I never would have bought the Spikes.
NRA Life Member.

Offline DarryH

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »
I just used a PSA LPK for a build.
I am very happy with it.
The trigger is not match grade, but I didn't pay for that.
It actually is very nice.
I have a factory built AR from a major maker that is not as good.
I used an Earo Precision lower, which I am also very happy with.
My only complaint was the hand grip. I opted for the Magpul, and I had to sand the inside before I could get it to fit onto the receiver.
It still went on very tight.
The final product is something I am very happy with.
Good Shootin!!
DarryH