< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: WMA for Rabbit/Squirrel  (Read 995 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
WMA for Rabbit/Squirrel
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Hello fellow firearm enthusiasts! I have been bitten by the gun collecting bug and would like to try my luck with some small game hunting. I attempted some rabbit hunting in February this year at Yankee Hill WMA by Lincoln, and had a couple opportunities with my 12ga but through a series of unfortunate events (safety still on, gloves too big  to quickly get in the trigger guard) couldn't capitalize on some bunnies. I am curious to find some land by Lincoln or Columbus that has a good number of either rabbit or squirrel. Any suggestions for WMA land, or if any of you have private land I could try when the seasons get going would be GREATLY appreciated. Parents aren't a big fan of guns/hunting so I'm teaching myself as I go. I don't have dogs to track any rabbits so I go around and rustle up brush piles hoping to flush some fluffies out of hiding. And any tips would also be great. Hope to see you out in the field!
P.S.
I also have a .22 and an AR (headshots) if that could lead to any other methods of hunting them.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: WMA for Rabbit/Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
I am from Columbus and haven't done much hunting around there lately but we used to go up north of Silver Creek which isn't far from Columbus and Loup Public Power owns a bunch of land out there that is open for public hunting.  You should be able to find a map of all of the public ground on the Game And Parks website also.  Around Lincoln there is some public hunting ground out by Branched Oak Lake.  Quite a few pheasants out their and then there is a good one about 5 miles east of Bennet.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com