< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Check your carry guns!  (Read 1347 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Check your carry guns!
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
Just a friendly reminder....with the nasty heat we have, conditions are ripe for rust to form.  I inspect my guns regularly but I still found a little rust on the safety lever of one of my carry guns today.  It was a blued steel part, but the sweat from your body will attack even stainless steel.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
Re: Check your carry guns!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
Good idea.  Thanks for the reminder. 
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
Good reminder.  I too have been real religious about pulling the ol Mak (it's one of them there steel guns, ya know)outta it's kholster when I get home and giving her a little wipedown.  So far this year I've been able to keep any rust to a minimum. 
Another good lesson to note, do not use one of those cheap padded nylon things; did that before I found the kholster, it will absorb sweat and rust a gun like no other!   
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
I generally use a clip draw which really exposes my carry piece to my sweaty body.  It gets wiped down and oiled every night during the warm months.  When I can wear a tucked in tee under another shirt there's no problem.