< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Merged Canton Ohio PD Notification Arrest & Officer Conduct  (Read 3234 times)

Offline dbleess

• NFOA Full Member
The link provided is a way over the top caricature of a situation I was in with Sarpy Co sheriff recently.

Officers lied to my face about a law and were reluctant in investigating the situation to my defense.  They were more interested in intimidating me into a confession than determining what happened and why.

I hadn't even started carrying yet but the flag on my license got me treated with thinly veiled contempt, disrespect, and overreaction.

It can happen on many levels so be wary.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/you-fu-with-me-cop-threatens-concealed-carry-gun-owner-during-traffic-stop/
-ENGC

Offline GO99

• NFOA Full Member
Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Conduct
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet, apologies if it has. This has been going around for a few days and some major heat generated.

Offline GO99

• NFOA Full Member

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Conduct
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
I watched this video this morning. After lunch today I was pulled over by a state trooper on Highway 370 near the new ballpark (Omaha area)...

Luckily, my experience was much better. He was very professional, gave me a fix-it ticket, and stood around talking about carry guns for a few minutes.

/rl

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »
The video is shocking. I’d hate to be one of the outliers who end up dealing with an aggravated officer such as this. It seems that we haven’t had to deal with an incident similar to this one, yet. (Please correct me if I’m wrong)

Setting aside all of the oddities of the situation, no one deserves that kind of treatment.

It is always nice to hear the LEOs rejecting the actions of officers such as this one.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Ohio CCW Carrier Threatened by Cop With Death
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:23:13 AM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/you-fu-with-me-cop-threatens-concealed-carry-gun-owner-during-traffic-stop/

I had heard about this a few days ago but I seriously can't believe it actually happened..

What do you guys think? What would you do in that situation? I would have to fight extremely hard not to get very angry. I think the only thing keeping my anger in check would be the legal repercussions. I'd also eventually just yell that I have a CCW and have a concealed gun on me.

There's a reason it's required by law to tell the officer... So stuff like this doesn't happen.

This cop is just a bad cop.  :(

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: I can relate
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
Oh man, I just posted this in General Firearms Discussion.

This would make me so angry... The cop is obviously a very bad cop. The man is simply trying to follow the law and inform him that he has a concealed handgun and the cop won't let him. It's ridiculous.

Offline CedarBill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »
It's no wonder so many people have such disdain for law enforcement. One idiot on a power trip can ruin the reputation of so many. It seems to be happening more and more often.

CB

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Ohio CCW Carrier Threatened by Cop With Death
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
It's true.  Canton OH police officer

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
From my perspective of the video the Officers should have removed the driver from the car before searching it. They seemed to be more worried about finding out something to pin on the other two that they were ignoring the driver. If they would have detained all three people at the beginning of the car stop then this may not have turned out the way it did. Not to mention that they officer searching the back seat was he himself in violation of the law for not asking permission to search the car in the first place. Just because they think they have arrested a person before does not give them the right to search. Hopefully this video will be admitted into evidence on behalf of the driver.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000.

He was reprimanded in one 2003 case. Harless and another officer were exonerated of using excessive force, but were given a letter of reprimand for not activating the in-car video camera at the scene per department policy.

This guy is a walking time bomb and should be removed from law enforcement.  He is dangerous.

Harless, a 14-year department veteran, is under investigation, and was placed on paid administrative leave June 20, according to his personnel file.

He has been on sick leave since Monday, and the results of the internal affairs investigation will be presented at a disciplinary hearing, the chief said.

With this video as proof he should be fired immediately, no paid leave, no sick leave. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
I am going to merge all the threads on this topic
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Merged Canton Ohio PD Notification Arrest & Officer Conduct
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
I have to admit, I think about how to handle this type of encounter every time I leave the house while carrying.  What I would do, how they will respond, etc.  But I have never imagined a response from a LEO like that. 

That video concerns me a great deal, scares me a bit (not something I admit very easy).  I have heard that some Omaha officers have had reactions similar if somewhat more restrained than the one in the video.  But my interactions with local Bellevue PD have to date been totally the opposite of what we see from Canton.  A polite "Thank you" and on with business. 

We have our own "duty to notify" clause here, and I have heard (here I believe) that handing the officer your permit along with your drivers license is not enough, you must verbally notify them.  I really dont have a problem with that, I personally like and respect cops, and if it makes them more comfortable then I'll be glad to tell them all about my carry.  But if one talks after being ordered to "shut up", isnt that refusing to obey a lawful order, and thereby you find yourself between a rock and a hard place?  I dont have an answer. 

I feel sorry for the driver of the car, he was scared out of his mind, that was obvious.  But he kept it polite and reasonable even in the face of such a threatening manner by the officer.  I hope I can keep that kind of composure if I am ever faced with a situation like that.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
It's an entirely unfortunate situation all the way around.  Frankly, I think the LEO in question is wound a bit too tight for the job and needs to go.  His days in law enforcement are over as far as I'm concerned. 

I would hope I could maintain my cool in such a situation and just smile inwardly, knowing I would soon own half of whatever city the overheated LEO worked in.   The more he threatened and screamed the more I'd sue. 

I also would like to think I'd be a little more insistent in announcing my status, despite being told to "shut up."  I'm not sure why he didn't tell attempt to inform the officer, the sane officer, who was searching the back seat at the time.   Maybe he did and we couldn't hear it?

"Officer, I am a permit holder and I am carrying." 

The driver did exercise poor judgment IMHO by being in a not-so-nice neighborhood at that time of night but that in no way excuses the behavior of the officer.   

My encounters with NE LEO's thus far have been good and I have no reason to expect otherwise.  I know a tiny percentage of local LEO's here locally have been much less than professional online but still I expect they would behave rationally live and in person. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »
From reading some of the thread on the ohio site, their issue is that some LEOs are using the wording of Ohio's notification requirement to manipulate situations... like telling this driver to not speak, then saying they didn't notify immediately. They guy has his permit in his hand and seems to attempt to notify the officers a couple of times.  I think this is nearly worst-case scenario.... the only way it could be worse is if the cop actually followed through on his threats.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
From reading some of the thread on the ohio site, their issue is that some LEOs are using the wording of Ohio's notification requirement to manipulate situations... like telling this driver to not speak, then saying they didn't notify immediately. They guy has his permit in his hand and seems to attempt to notify the officers a couple of times.  I think this is nearly worst-case scenario.... the only way it could be worse is if the cop actually followed through on his threats.

My idea of a worst case scenario: having this happen without a dash camera or microphone. This guy would have been sliced and diced by their legal system and their local rights along with him.

The storywould have read “police veterans were placed in extreme danger by negligent, derelict with a concealed carry permit.”

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »

I also would like to think I'd be a little more insistent in announcing my status, despite being told to "shut up."  I'm not sure why he didn't tell attempt to inform the officer, the sane officer, who was searching the back seat at the time.   Maybe he did and we couldn't hear it?

"Officer, I am a permit holder and I am carrying." 

Exactly what I was thinking.....

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »
There is absolutely no excuse for this Officer's behavior......... He better be fired, the permit holder not charged with anything, and the permit holder better file a nice suit against the Officer and Dept.

As a CHP holder, what could this guy have done different to avoid this situation?????? Don't park your car in the street and associate with a prostitute.........

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
I've read the prosecutor wants to dismiss all charges in exchange for the permit holder not suing.  They've declined that offer  :D and are going forward with a lawsuit. 

In the stuff I read, he reportedly did try to inform the officer that was searching the car and was told to be quiet.  He had the permit in his hand most of the time, heck even after the crazy dude went ballistic he still never took the permit from him!  He was searching through the guys stuff on the trunk of the car and couldn't find the permit because he never took it from the holder. 

Thank goodness for dash cameras. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
Shouldn't a second audio file exist for the second officer? Don't they both have microphones?