< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska CHP renewal information  (Read 39554 times)

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nebraska CHP renewal information
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
  I have only been waiting 20 working days for my inital permit and don't expect to see it any sooner then 45 days.  But, boy does time go by slow when your waiting on something.:( Keep checking the box every day though.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
It sounds like initial applications are still taking over 7 weeks.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
It sounds like initial applications are still taking over 7 weeks.
Yep, I have a buddy who just got his and it took 55 days.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
Think I can get a credit on my account for the extra wait? 

So that way the next time I have a ticket to pay or some paperwork to provide, I can blow off their legally mandated deadline by an equal number of days? You know, just to square the account.

I'm sure NSP would be cool with that, right?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
My brother just got his CCW teaching certificate.. after applying in June... it was absolutely ridiculous. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
We've now hit the one-month mark. Granted, my degree is in journalism and not mathematics, but I'm pretty sure that's more than 5 days.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
Today, I inquired about my renewal. The response:

"We apologize for the delay. Renewals require the same background check that a new permit does, therefore we are significantly behind in issuing renewals. I did check on your renewal, it is on the final step, and we will get it in the mail for you tomorrow."

Breath will not be held.

Again, I ask what happens to me when I miss the statutory deadline by 20 or so days because I was "significantly behind"?

Preaching to the choir, I know. Still, griping here is less costly than therapy.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
I thought that renewals only required a NICS check
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
See, the NSP was just waiting for me to make a bold prediction. Renewal showed up today.

I was amused by the "Person of Interest" background check. According to the dates, it was requested and completed yesterday, just coincidentally the same day I inquired. Imagine the the odds of that timing!

So, once the 5 minutes background check came back "no wants, no warrants," they were able to process my renewal.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Just so were clear here are the renewal regs

011 RENEWAL OF PERMITS
011.01 Permit holders may renew a permit to carry a concealed handgun within the four (4) months prior to expiration of the initial permit at any Nebraska State Patrol Troop Headquarters or office provided by the patrol for purposes of accepting such applications.

011.02 An application for renewal must be completed by permit holder affirming that the permit holder still meets all current requirements for obtaining a permit. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. All applications for renewal will be cleared through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to assure continuing compliance with statutory requirements. The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) working days of receipt of the application valid for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit.

011.03 A current photograph will be required with the renewal application.

011.04 A permit holder letting an initial permit expire without applying for a renewal will be required to apply for another initial permit and meet all of the requirements for an initial permit
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
Is it possible that they are unaware of what their procedure is supposed to be for renewal?  Hard to believe but it sounds as if they are under the impression that all steps for approval of a renewal should be the same as the initial application for the permit.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
Thanks to the hard work of Chris Z., I found out that they "mistakenly filed" my renewal in the "New application" hopper. Shockingly, they admitted it was their mistake.

Of course, I have no recourse but to smile and say "Thank you, may I have another?"

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Is that happening to all renewals?  Most people I have spoken to about their renewals have indicated very long wait times, and many are still waiting.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Lincoln CID processed my renewal in late October 2011 in 4 business days
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
FYI.............

As indicated earlier in this post, depending upon the NSP-stated  5-day renewal period for CHP renewals is not a good idea.

Case in Point:
  My $50.00 CHP renewal receipt is dated 2/28/12.    As of today [3/20/12], my renewed license has not yet shown up in the mailbox.   Going on a month now.   Considerably longer than 5 days.

Definitely not ragging on the NSP CHP administration.    Sgt. Craig Loveless is an excellent officer and is fully dedicated to his job.    However, the CHP program is only part of his assignment.   [Military calls it a collateral duty.]

It appears that--due to heavy demand--the CHP processing area is overloaded relative to the staff Worker Bees available to do the background checks, paper-pushing, laminating, mailing, filing, etc., etc.

The main point here is that if you have to renew your CHP, start at the four month renewal window.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline red71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
My receipt is 1/31, I called couple weeks ago and the nice lady reassured me I would receive it before the old one runs out! ::)

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
How very considerate of her.   Don't you ever doubt the bureaucracy, they'll take care of you.      They are prompt, no matter how long it takes.     ;D

Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
Well, at least now I know to put in as soon as the window for renewal opens up on my permit.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
I think it would be better if the legislature tries to rectify the problem of not issuing permits within the required time set forth in the law by putting the county sheriffs in charge of issuing CHP's. Having one statewide agency do all this work is quite a burden since there are only 6 locations to apply. Plus the only place that does process the background investigation is CID as I understand. I think its also a hardship on folks who live in the more remote areas of Nebraska like those who live up in Cherry County. Considering gas prices and the distance and time it would be better for each county sheriff to handle this job.
Any thoughts? Should this be a new NFOA goal in the next legislative session? I really think its important because govt bureaucracy can't be trusted to issue permits in a timely manner, especially in an "emergency".
Course the ultimate goal is to abolish permits altogether in favor of constitutional carry.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
The idea has its merits but it may create a much more daunting task to deal with dozens of jurisdictions/interpretations scattered across the state, rather than a single system/jurisdiction.
I think it would be better if the legislature tries to rectify the problem of not issuing permits within the required time set forth in the law by putting the county sheriffs in charge of issuing CHP's... Any thoughts? Should this be a new NFOA goal in the next legislative session? I really think its important because govt bureaucracy can't be trusted to issue permits in a timely manner, especially in an "emergency".
Course the ultimate goal is to abolish permits altogether in favor of constitutional carry.