< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR15 Pistols - Interesting Response from the BATFE  (Read 713 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
AR15 Pistols - Interesting Response from the BATFE
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
Apologies, pages 2 and 3 are switched. Please read the pages in this order: 1, 3, 2.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0qyloA48O3XOWQ3NDc2NmItOWVlZi00NjEzLTlhMzYtZTgxM2FiNzBkMGU3&hl=en_US

That is a response letter I received back earlier this week. Looks like we can construct an AR15 "firearm" that is 26" in overall length (full carbine length receiver extension with an 11.5" barrel will meet this criteria), has no stock but has a vertical grip in addition to the pistol grip and not have it be an NFA firearm. It will not be a pistol either, nor a short-barreled rifle or AOW. It is simply an "AR15 firearm." No tax stamp necessary.

They did make note to check local and state laws, however. From your guys' knowledge, are there any Nebraska or Omaha city laws that would prevent one from owning this type of firearm? Note that it is NOT a pistol by definition. The ATF considers it to be only a "firearm."

Further, what happens if you remove the vertical grip? Would it be a pistol again?

I'm sad that I can't ask the state prosecutor or state patrol to interpret the law for me. They're telling me I have to hire a lawyer.  :angry:

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:36:40 PM by SeanN »