< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gut Piles  (Read 1319 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Gut Piles
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Curious to hear what you guys do with your gut piles. Do you leave them where you shot your animal? Or do you bury or dispose of at home? And does it influence what you do if its public or private land? One of the random topics I have come across on the world wide web that makes me wonder what ya'll do.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Gut Piles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:48:35 AM »
Leave them for the coyotes.  If we feel like shooting them we'll stake them out, but otherwise they're gone in less than 24 hours.  This is on family owned land BTW.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
got 2 yottes like that last year, one BIG alpha male, and a smaller female

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Usually the deer we get are on family's property and we just find a good spot on the property to leave them lay, they don't last long with all the yotes around.  I have gotten one on wildlife management property a few years back and I hauled it a couple miles up to a friend's property to gut it.  So I guess what I'm saying is its probably up to your own discretion and whomever's property your hunting on.  I think you would be fine on wildlife management property to do it just out of the way, the only thing that bugs me is when someone does it right on the side of the road, or in the parking lot of the WMA, that just looks very tacky on hunters.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
I try to drag my deer to an open spot and leave the gut pile where it would make any coyotes an easy target in the open, should they happen to show up ......

So many deer get whacked  on opening weekend along the creek where we hunt that the coyotes and possums can't keep up...... last year, there were 7 gut piles  and one very large dead buck on the half section I hunted on Sunday ....... and that was just the ones I saw!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.