< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: There's a Safety Lesson Here..........Or Sumthin'  (Read 1118 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
There's a Safety Lesson Here..........Or Sumthin'
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »
This little gem has been rattling around for a coupla days.

No one else has brought it up.

So here it is for your own consideration:    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/09/national/main20090088.shtml?tag=re1.channel

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: There's a Safety Lesson Here..........Or Sumthin'
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »
Natural selection at work.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »
From ABC Channel 15.

CHANDLER, AZ - Chandler police say a 27-year-old man accidentally shot himself in the groin outside a grocery store Tuesday night. According to the police report, the man had his fiancee's pink pistol tucked in the front waistband of his pants when the gun accidentally fired.

Does anyone else see were this fella first went wrong and showed disreguard for proper firearm etiquette?

We have the 4 rules of gun handling, hadda, hadda, hadda, hadda;  but there is one VERY important rule that shouldn't need to be said or put into writing. A rule, that has stood the test of time and gender.....
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
I saw that the other day. VERY high on the list of things I don't want to experience. I feel bad for the guy but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Johnny2Glocks

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
 :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:   :o How? How?
MOLON LABE

2nd BN 1st MAR WPNS CO 2006-11

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »
Darwin awards are usually given posthumously, but we could make an exception in this case.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Ha, i saw this the other day on my other forum.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
There have been several negligent discharge incidents recently. Two guys, one in Arizona and one in Omaha, shot off parts of what I've heard called "wedding tackle". Another guy let off a round when he caught the trigger as he put his pistol back into a worn out holster. Now, in Omaha, a guy shot himself when his gun fell out of his pocket.

The primary cause of all of these incidents was poor gun handling. But I think it is worth noting that none of them would have occurred if the gun involved had been a traditional Browning Colt automatic. If you have the hammer down, it's not going to fire unless you drop it four stories and it lands wrong. If you have if cocked and locked, it's not going to fire even if you pull the trigger. If you have it cocked and unlocked, the grip safety will probably save you. John Browning came up with the optimum balance between readiness, shootability and safety over a hundred years ago.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com