< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: WEEPING WATER MATCHES  (Read 1829 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
WEEPING WATER MATCHES
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Have been reading about the Bowling Pin and Defensive Pistol matches at WWGC. For the bowling pin matches, is there a better choice for a firearm? Say if had a choice of 22LR or 40 cal, which would be more popular? I realize that they are different for classification, just wondering which one is easier for us rookies.

As for the defensive pistol, how does it compare to the USPSA at ENGC.? Have seen the USPSA numerous times but have not seen the defensive pistol. For those of you that have seen or done both, which one would you do 1st.? easiest.

Thanks for the comments.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: WEEPING WATER MATCHES
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
Pretty sure you have to knock down the pins.  Your pretty little .22 might not quite cut it.   ;D

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
WWGC bowling pin matches are an absolute blast. You pay I think $15 to shoot and that allows you to shoot in ALL FOUR of their divisions.

.22's
9mm Semi Autos
.40 cal Semi Autos and larger caliber (.45's etc...)
Revolvers

On a 4' x 8' table, the pins are placed differently depending on the division being shot.
Pins go on the back ledge with .22's, so if you hit it, they roll right off.
9mm division, pins go approx 1' from the rear of the table.
.40/.45 division pins go approx in the middle of the table
Revolvers, pins go in the front of the table (so you have to blow them back 4')

I recommend bring a couple hundred rounds for each division you plan to shoot. Any .22 ammo is fine. For the centerfire classes, think Hollow Points, and think the heavier the bullet the better.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
To answer your question about the defensive pistol matches compared to the USPSA at ENGC....... No comparison. the WWGC defensive matches are very "limited" compared to what is going on at ENGC...

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »
WWGC bowling pin matches are an absolute blast. You pay I think $15 to shoot and that allows you to shoot in ALL FOUR of their divisions.

I didn't realize that you could shoot multiple divisions. That could make for a real fun day. So, I assume that they don't shoot all divisions at the same time.

To answer your question about the defensive pistol matches compared to the USPSA at ENGC....... No comparison. the WWGC defensive matches are very "limited" compared to what is going on at ENGC...

So, for someones 1st action pistol match, the defensive pistol would be a better place to start.??

Thank you Chris Z

And Mr. Mud, I'll take my pretty little 22 also  :kiss:   Are you coming?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
Pin shoots usually go this way....

First everyone shoots .22's..... (because the pins get too heavy after you start filling them full of lead)
Next  shoot 9mm division.
Then .45 division.
Then Revolver division

Sometimes if there is extra time they will then cut the heads off the pins and shoot just pin heads with .22's. This tears up the tables pretty bad though?   :-)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
I went to WWGC's pin match on the 31st of July ..... did not do too badly, considering I had not shot pins i a long while.... I even beat Dennis the Impossible, once!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
For the pin shoots. Do the .22's start safety on, or off like the USPSA steel challenge? Being left-handed, safetys can be hard to manipulate under timed/match conditions. What about optics on the .22's? My favorite Ruger has an optic.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »
For the pin shoots. Do the .22's start safety on, or off like the USPSA steel challenge? Being left-handed, safetys can be hard to manipulate under timed/match conditions. What about optics on the .22's? My favorite Ruger has an optic.

I am not sure on this one......... I shoot a .22 without a manual safety button on it  :-) so I've never had to think about it

Anyone else shoot these matches that knows?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
Optics are fine, IIRC. 

IIRC, fire commands at the WWGC pin matches are: "Load. ........ muzzles on the table ........ Ready? ...... Fire!"

Nothin' in there 'bout safeties.........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, Unfortunately, I discovered some damage to my house so now my Sunday is otherwise taken up  :(.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
We (K, Little James, and myself) had a great time today, though none of us shot as well as we could have ....... K was rumnatin' on just how much range time and ammo the $1200 bucks we spent on Cheerleading expenses would have bought........

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Also, went to the Pin Match with a friend and his son. All of us being 1st time pin shooters. The match was very organized and moved along quite well. Everyone was very friendly and supportive. Even got to scope out some of Zeeb's special pin loads.   :o  Had a great time and will do it again. Thanks to all.  :)

For those of you that want to try a "Match" but not sure where to start, this would be a great 1st choice along with "Steels" at ENGC. The "pins" might be a little more difficult because of their size, and when they lay down, they just sit there and laugh at you while you shoot the table to pieces. :laugh:   Also, the head to head competition tends to add a little pressure to the shooting, which I think will help everyone to become a better shooter. And that is why we do it.

Just let the range personnel know that you are a 1st timer and they will be very helpfull to make sure everything is done properly and safely.

Ronald Reagan