< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Electronic Earmuffs  (Read 1068 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Electronic Earmuffs
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Looking for input about what you all use at the range to protect your ears. What do you like and why ? Do you use the same for handguns and long guns ? Thinking about mid-priced electronic muffs.

Thanks for the input.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Electronic Earmuffs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
I use electronic earmuffs.   The kind you are inquiring about.

They work OK.   I can hear normal conversation on the range with them in place, but when it goes BANG, they shut down the shooting noise.

While running a group through range qualification, I can carry on a conversation with the shooters and discuss whatever needs to be discussed.   When the shooting starts, my ears are already covered.   No forgotten protection; no additional motions needed to protect my ears.

Which brand?   Mine are by Browning.   Suggest that you go through the usual Internet search and try to sort out all the comments, positive and negative, on all the brands before making your purchase.

Good luck.

sfg
What I
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
I use Pro Ears (Dimension 2) and have for a long time. They were expensive but at the time there were few options that had auxiliary input capability, and since I use them at work too, I need that feature.

I wear them alone for outdoor pistol shooting, but for shotgun and rifle I wear plugs lightly inserted under the muffs, and turn the volume up. I can hear conversation and still protect myself from any further hearing damage, and my tinnitus is already very bad, so I can not afford to allow any more loud noise exposure.

They can be hot in summer, but like I said I wear them at work too  so I am kinda used to that.

They are nice and warm in the winter :D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:29 PM »
I have the Howard Leight R-01526s and love them. I like how they fold down to compactly fit in a range bag, the auto off after 4 hours of being on to prevent dead batteries when (not if) you accidentally leave them turned on, and they're about $50 on Amazon.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »
i have e-muffs as well.  my brand and model is the Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs.  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=774928

i bought my not long ago from Palmetto State Armory.  ive used them only a handful of times, but they are great so far.  they have blocked out the loud rifle noises at the Ike's Vintage Rifle Matches i have attended.  i would suggest anyone get electronic earmuffs and keep plugs for a backup.   oh.... and make sure you bring extra batteries!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »
I have 2 pairs.

First pair my wife bought me from Sportsman's guide about 5-7 years back.  Basic off-volume control knob on one side.  They work fine, not sure what she paid for them.

The second pair I bought at the Harbor Freight store in Omaha a couple years ago.  Virtually identical to the other pair, I paid $14.95 for them and they work just fine too.

They are kinda big and not exactly light, but they work just fine for me.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:34:06 AM »
Peltor.   They are wonderful.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Thanks All  ;D

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with what you have. Kinda the same thing I have been reading in the product comments. Lots of good ones for sale.

Thanks again.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
I have a set of Peltors (the $60 ones) and they are great as long as you dont get them wet. I spent a day outside training in the rain and the right muff hasnt worked right since. Eventually I want to upgrade to something more weather resistant.

Also, for me, the low profile type are the only muffs I can get a proper cheek weld on a rifle with.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
I bought a set of the Champion ones and they worked great for about 6 months.  First one side stopped working, then the other.  I'm thinking of tearing them apart to see if there's anything I can fix.