< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The KING COBRA is back.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
The KING COBRA is back.
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:31 AM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110824/NEWS01/708249916#chambers-seeks-capitol-return

Chambers seeks Capitol return

By Paul Hammel
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — The self-proclaimed "Defender of the Downtrodden" has had enough.
Fiery former State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha said Tuesday he is definitely running to recapture his old seat in the Nebraska Legislature.
Chambers, 74, left the $12,000-a-year post three years ago because of term limits — after representing north Omaha for 38 years.
"There's a job that needs to be done that's not being done, and I think I can do it better than anyone else," Chambers said.
"I'll run on my record," he added. "People will find (there) things that have not been equaled by any legislator, anywhere in this country, during any period in history."
Chambers' no-holds-barred style, booming speeches and trademark sweatshirt and T-shirt wardrobe were legendary in the Legislature.
Another Chambers campaign would provide a test of whether voters want a return to the flame-throwing techniques he utilized to block bills he detested, or if they want to stick with the less confrontational style of the incumbent, Brenda Council, a former City Council member.

~~See more at link~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: The KING COBRA is back.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:46 AM »
great....ugh.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
If he wins it will definitely make it harder for us to get any pro-gun legislation passed.  Unless the rest of the legislature decides to not put up with his bullying.  I never understood why they tolerated it.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
If he wins it will definitely make it harder for us to get any pro-gun legislation passed.  Unless the rest of the legislature decides to not put up with his bullying.  I never understood why they tolerated it.

They are afraid of being tagged with the "racist" label.  It's kinda like openly opposing The One's agenda. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
I was holding out hope he would run against Ben Nelson in the Dem primary or run for UNL Regent

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
Ernie really lacks self-esteem: "Chambers said. "I'll run on my record," he added. "People will find (there) things that have not been equaled by any legislator, anywhere in this country, during any period in history."

Very obvious, but needs to be stated for the record: He's an Arrogant jack-ass that is wrong on most every issue.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:33:45 AM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
You know what kills me?  Everyone thinks he's such a great orator, but every time I listened to him it just seemed like he rambled on and on.  He made a lot of circular arguments, rather than proving his point.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
I've had the opportunity to meet EC several times - back when I was a student at UNL and covered the legislative beat for the campus radio and TV stations.  Like most public personae, he has a public face and a private face.  I'd say he's fairly intelligent.  Not a genius, but smarter than average.  He, like many in politics, will frequently take a stance that is far left of what he's willing to accept just to counter-balance those taking a stance far right of what he's willing to accept.

I don't know how he's changed over the years as I haven't met with him personally since about 1990.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
The inevitable has happened, I'd have to support Brenda Council. Hopefully they will get into a mud slinging debate, one would run as an independant, and a conservative would win.

Ernie, by law, has to live in the district he represents. We need to make that an issue, as he lives in Bellevue.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Ernie, by law, has to live in the district he represents. We need to make that an issue, as he lives in Bellevue.

His tenure was before my time in NE. Seems like I recall hearing he didn't live in Omaha when he held office previously, he just used a business prop address or similar trick? Can anyone confirm that? Also, who can point me to the exact statute requiring senators to be residents of their represented district? I have a feeling others would also be interested in this issue coming to light during his campaign, including Brenda.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
III-8. Legislators; qualifications; one-year residence in district; removal from district, effect.
No person shall be eligible to the office of member of the Legislature unless on the date of the general election at which he is elected, or on the date of his appointment he is a registered voter, has attained the age of twenty-one years and has resided within the district from which he is elected for the term of one year next before his election, unless he shall have been absent on the public business of the United States or of this State. And no person elected as aforesaid shall hold his office after he shall have removed from such district.

32-116. Residence, defined.
Residence shall mean (1) that place in which a person is actually domiciled, which is the residence of an individual or family, with which a person has a settled connection for the determination of his or her civil status or other legal purposes because it is actually or legally his or her permanent and principal home, and to which, whenever he or she is absent, he or she has the intention of returning, (2) the place where a person has his or her family domiciled even if he or she does business in another place, and (3) if a person is homeless, the county in which the person is living. No person serving in the armed forces of the United States shall be deemed to have a residence in Nebraska because of being stationed in Nebraska.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:52:41 PM by AAllen »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
This is something that could and would be brought up if there was proof that he lives in Bellevue and has for a long period of time.  If anyone has some I know people that would be able to make use of it.

He has his Barber Shop in N Omaha, and upstairs is the apartment where his wife and him raised their kids.  But my understanding is he has not "lived" there for a long time.  Though he most likely recieves mail there and is registered to vote from that address.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
The questions are: what would be considered proof in 1) the election commission's eyes and 2) in the public's eyes?
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
We need to make damn sure that he doesn't make it all the way back to the judiciary committee.

My thinking is we are not alone in that mission. I  think few if any in the legislature want him to have that much power ever again.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
From what I've seen from Brenda Council's remarks towards Castle Doctrine,I'd rather have Chambers. His positions, and Council's, appear identical on almost everything that effects the NFOA. His polarizing style could be useful for the furthering of OUR aims. He would help shine a bright light on Castle Doctrine,where manifest truths will be told. Brenda Council was against Castle Doctrine and said something to the effect that gang members would have an open season on each other legally. We made NO POLITICAL CAPITAL out of her statement. If the news covered Ernie on a statement like that;the brightness of the media coverage would have made THE TRUTH be known. Council VOTES the same as Ernie, she doesn't rouse the opposition like he does. I say, if he makes it,let's use him to promote our agenda. There is political capital to be made by us with him on the other side.  RJ
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:37:11 AM by omaharj »