< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I am gonna start me an army  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
I am gonna start me an army
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
Grandson #7 born today!  Pretty soon I am gonna have to get me some  more .22's bought 8)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: I am gonna start me an army
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
Congrats on #7. Sounds to me like you are going to need more ammo :P
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
If they all turn out to be shooters you're going to need a Dillon 1050.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:39 PM »
Grandson #7 born today!  Pretty soon I am gonna have to get me some  more .22's bought 8)

I think Cabela's still has the Marlin 795's and Federal bulk packs on sale.   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »
I think Cabela's still has the Marlin 795's and Federal bulk packs on sale.   ;D
Last week when I went down for the meeting I think they were out of stock. Didn't see any to fondle, so I didn't get in line
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
Congrats Dan!
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »
Congrats Dan! That is a lot of AR's you better start building!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »
The Marlin 795 is a great idea.  I don't own one but I have handled them and for 99 bucks you can't beat them.  Out of the box they're generally a lot more accurate than a 10/22.

I heard a rumor that PSA lowers are going on sale again in September.....

Oh, and congratulations btw.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
Comments in line in red.

The Marlin 795 is a great idea.  I don't own one but I have handled them and for 99 bucks you can't beat them.  Out of the box they're generally a lot more accurate than a 10/22.

We've been very happy with the one I got for my son.

I heard a rumor that PSA lowers are going on sale again in September.....

Aw ... crap.  More money to spend.   :laugh:

Oh, and congratulations btw.

Congrats, Dan.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
Congratulations Dan.  Do you have any granddaughters?  Sometimes the young ladies make good shooters.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »
Congratulations! 7 grandkids, spoiling them all can be a full time job. ;D RJ

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Yes I have one granddaughter, so we will see if she shows interest.

Went to Omaha to visit today, and during a break I went to Cabela's to look at a Marlin 795. Last time I was there they were out.

So I get this kid at the counter, must be his first day.. ::)

He pulls the rifle out of the box, but that is where the fun began. I asked how many mags?

Just the one he says, so I ask if they have any more to sell. He comes back in about 5 minutes and jams a Mossberg Plinkster mag into the hole and it gets stuck. :o I point out the obvious problem and he mutters something about them looking the same.

So I change tactics and ask about a Marlin model 60, "just the price " I said. (I was scared of what he might do next)

So after a few minutes of head scratching he tells me they only have one Marlin 60. It is a .357 magnum and costs 600 and some odd dollars. ???

So, I bladed at 45 degrees and left the area. ;D

I did see a Marlin 60 camo stocked Ducks Unlimited rifle, like new for $249 in the used rack

But I decided to hold off as the 4473 line was about 10 deep and I did not have the time to wait.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
Hey Dan,

I got a coupon for $20 off $150 of in-store purchases today, if you're thinking about buying anything.

I'm pretty sure the 795 is the same as the Model 60, except mag fed instead of tube fed.  If so it's a great gun.  A Marlin 60 was the first gun I bought with my own money as a kid.  I shot thousands and thousands of rounds through that thing back when a brick of Winchester Wildcat was $5.00.  I bet if you took a metal detector to the field behind the house I grew up in it would go crazy from all the empty .22 cases. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:30:03 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
Yes I really like tube fed .22's and the model 60 is one if the best, but it might be a poor choice for Appleseed unless a kid can master speed reloads with a straw
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
Dan, thought of your lil army while cruising the used rack at Cabelas tonight. :D  Saw a Marlin model 75?  looked like a 60 only with a half tube. Then antother tube fed bolty? Anyways -cheap ;)
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
First Dan congratulations, and your not starting an Army, you have one.  I have both the 795 and 60, yes the 60 is better made (of course it is several years old so things may have changed) but the 795 is mag fed and like you mentioned it works better for Appleseed.  Cabela's does get the extra mags in but they only seem to get a couple at a time and they go quick, I've also gotten them at Guns Unlimited and seen them almost everywhere else that carries a box store retail supply of firearms and accessories.  Just watch what you are getting the 795 uses a different mag than the 790 did and some stores will try to tell you they are the same.  But they all use the same tech sites so that is a plus.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Congrats on the little one!

i also have a few $20 off a purchase of $150 at Cabelas.  if you want some (I have 4), i can let you have a few.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
I have a bunch too, but I am thinking I will support a local FFL rather than a big store like Cabela's. 

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder