< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any relationship with Hornady?  (Read 974 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Any relationship with Hornady?
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
Tonight I was looking at bullets on Hornady's site and I wondered if NFOA had ever approached Hornady about some sort of semi-official or official relationship.  Being a Nebraska company it seems like a natural partnership.

Failing that, has anyone ever gone to the factory for a tour?  I've heard that they're very friendly and that sounds like a fun time.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Any relationship with Hornady?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »
Haven't done the tour, sounds like it could be fun, but we are working on trying to get some support from both Hornady a Cabala's for some projects we are working on.  I am hoping to be far enough along on at least one that I will have an announcement at the members meeting in October.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
I too, ahve thought we should get friendly with NE companies like Hornady and Cabelas on a more official level, just not sure how to go about it.

Yes on the tour. My brothers and I went a couple years ago when we were in GI for Husker Harvest Days (Sept. 13-15, FYI) They are super friendly and usually more than willing to show off their place. Best to call in advance to be sure someone is available to show your around.  Not a "rep" mind you, a true on the line employee who knows the business! They were just starting a new expansion, so would be bigger now.  If you haven't you've gotta call the phone line and listen thru the messages ( if they still have it)  kind of a preview of the people, cool, laid back, midwestern folks with a sense of humor.
Obviously I can't afford their ammo for plinking, but because of that tour, I trust their ammo for self defense (Critical defense) and bigger game hunting (Lever evolution, etc)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
I am not positive, but I think that they have been approached, but we did not get much(if any) response back from them.

As a side note, Steve Hornady is on NRA's Board of Directors.  You can take that for what it's worth.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
A note on getting support from Corporate resources.  They have funds available as well as other forms of support.  The challenge is to get those funds or donations you need to make a formal request.  So you must apply much like writing a grant request from the .Gov or any other business or nonprofit that gives support to other organizations.  That means you must have a formal plan, "the funds will be used for this" and how much support we need from you to accomplish this is $X.  Also you need to have a formal in person meeting with those whom you are requesting the funds from.

Challenges for the NFOA in respect to this; First the board all volunteers, we have families and jobs that also take our time.  Getting away to meet with these folks "during normal business hours" is a challenge.  We need to take vacation days from our jobs and travel across the state on our gas and travel budgets.  When we are also doing our lobbying work on the same time and travel budgets there does come a limit to how much time and money we (at least I) personly can invest.  This is also complicated by the fact that none of the board is grant writers, we are learning how.  With everything else we are learning it takes time.

If we have a member that has experience in writting Grant requests or business plans those are things I am trying to learn at this time (on top of lobbying, legal issues, fundraising ect.) and would love to have someone to help with these things.  Volunteers for these activities are being accepted.  Can I give a complete description of what the person would be doing, no because I'm learning and they will be teaching me at the same time as getting these activities going for the NFOA.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Having visted with Hornady in the past about "sponsorship", they've not been willing to provide actual dollars, but they are willing to help with certain things in a limited capacity.  POC used to be Steve Johnson.  I have his contact info if someone from the board wants to PM me. 

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »
I've done a quick informal tour of the factory, it's very interesting and informative.  I cast my own it so was a real treat for me to see start to finish, would go again.
Maybe a good start would be to set up a group tour of the facility to show that we as advocates of RKBA are in fact interested in our local boolit maker.  Besides it's a cool place to go.
What do we want to know?  I can talk to Steve or Jason next time I see them at Heartland.  Keep in mind they are "off the clock" at the range just like I am.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
If we have a member that has experience in writting Grant requests or business plans those are things I am trying to learn at this time (on top of lobbying, legal issues, fundraising ect.) and would love to have someone to help with these things.  Volunteers for these activities are being accepted.  Can I give a complete description of what the person would be doing, no because I'm learning and they will be teaching me at the same time as getting these activities going for the NFOA.

I can write a business plan in my sleep - probably have a couple times.  :D