< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Liberty training rifle - Marlin 795  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Liberty training rifle - Marlin 795
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
I know we have some appleseed devotees on the forum, and I am finally going to get a pair of 795's ready to go this winter.

I have a set of tech sights enroute for one rifle, but I am searching for information on best inexpensive slings, swivels and installing sling studs in the synthetic stock.

I have read that the 795 , like other dovetailed receivers, show a tendency to let scope mounts move around, and so a one piece scope mount is best, and I have heard that the UTG mounts work very good on the 795. Is anyone here using that
mount?

And I am also interested in rimfire scope opinions, for instance the Simmons 22 MAG 3-9X32mm.  If you have one or use one give me the scoop. Or if anyone thinks they know of a better rimfire scope for low dollars ($50) I have a fixed 4x that is really old but still works, and I am thinking I want a variable scope for this project.

I am looking to keep the cost down while still getting useable gear
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Liberty training rifle - Marlin 795
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
I might add that I have a ton of info on WECSOG trigger tuning and internal action tweaking and I will report how that all goes
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
I know Wesley has a 795 set up as a LTR so he can probably help you out with sling attachment.  It's actually his wife's so you may not want to copy the Hello Kitty stickers.  :D

I recommend a GI web sling.  They're cheap and work well.  I believe CDNN Sports has them in stock.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
Dan - The 795 is a fine rifle.  Here's the setup Mindy runs:

Sling: USGI Nylon, [LINK]
Swivels: Uncle Mike's 1.25", [LINK] - Studs are factory installed on 795s.
Irons: Tech Sights, [LINK]
Decor: Hello Kitty, [LINK] - These are even scented, Brian!

Alternate Sights
Mounts for Glass: Leupold 56533, [LINK] - At $11 for a pair, I've seen guys double up on these with four rings when concerned about hold.  I only use two.  With blue Loctite. 
Glass: Whatever you have.  It's rimfire, so you're not going to have it beaten up like a centerfire.  I think hers came with a 4x20mm Bushnell.  I'm not sure if Rod has anymore used scopes that would suit your needs, but I remember him having a handful of them awhile back.  May be worth asking him what he has. 

As long as you're tinkering over the winter, I'd also recommend you consider swapping out the plastic trigger guard with an aluminum one (with wider match trigger) because if you overtighten the retention screw, you'll end up cracking the factory polymer.  Ask me how I know...  :laugh:  Check out DIP Inc. [LINK]

And make sure you send in the $25 Factory Rebate! [LINK]
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
OMG!  They are Scented?   That is soooo awesome.  :)

Thanks for the links

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
Tech sights are here. 4 Extra magazines are here. I have been perusing the DIP site and I am thinking about a dovetail to picatinny adapter so I can use some equipment I already own on the big boy toy, while I keep the other rifle a basic  model with Tech sights for training the yutes.

As far as glass goes... I was always unhappy with the 4x on my boyhood lever action .22

I am thinking maybe a 2-7x28 with rimfire parallax adjustments
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Dan, you might look into a Swift scope.  I had one that had very good focus down to about 10 yards.  It was on a .223 I used to have but I always thought it would make a nice rimfire scope.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Well I am officially renaming these rifles Singers, cuz they run like sewing machines. ;D

300 rounds Fed value pack through 6 magazines and not a single failure. 8)

Note to self ...you can't see well enough to use iron sights so give it a rest already
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
I finally decided on a scope and I went with a Crossfire 2-7x32 rimfire scope made by Vortex. I chose it because the have a rep for unrivaled customer service and a lifetime no questions asked warranty. It should be here tomorrow, so maybe a Saturday afternoon sight in session...

I also need to prove out my trigger work. The Appleseed trainer, I ended up with a 4.5lb pull and I did not take out the pre-travel or over-travel, but did remove most of the creep. Feels like a little two stage trigger.

On the scoped rifle I went with a wider, adjustable, flat target trigger that removed the pre-travel and a trigger guard that has an adjustable over-travel stop. Pull weight is 3.5lbs. Feels nice if it stays there. May have to back off a bit if it wears in and gets too light.

Did I ever tell you all I want to be a gunsmith when I grow up?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
If I had the time and money to buy the equipment I would be a garage gunsmith.  Thinking about buying a lathe this winter if I can swing it....

Vortex is good stuff.