< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ive' Done It Again  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Ive' Done It Again
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:56 AM »
Hello, my name is Wildgoose and I am a GunBrokerholic. ::) Just kidding, found a good deal on another Remington Model 8. This old spring pole was made in 1930 and is slightly modified so the price was too good to pass up. This ones in 35 Remington. Too bad Neberaska is a bit short on woods and Black Bears. :laugh:

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Ive' Done It Again
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »
I am not familiar with this model so I looked it up.  According to the description the entire barrel assembly moves when fired, is this actually the case?  Sounds like a good find regardless.  Congratulations.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Ive' Done It Again
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
I am not familiar with this model so I looked it up.  According to the description the entire barrel assembly moves when fired, is this actually the case?  Sounds like a good find regardless.  Congratulations.

Sure does Bill. What appears to be the barrel is actually a barrel shroud that contains the barrel and spring assembly. When fired the barrel along with the bolt and bolt carrier recoil inside the jacket to the rear ejecting the fired case and then stripping and chambering a fresh round as it springs forward back into  battery. Quite an operation, thus the nick name "spring pole" for those of us who are enamored of these old semi autos from the turn of the century. The one I just bought is my third so far but my first Model 8. The other two are actually Model 81 Woodsmasters chambered for the 30 Remington Auto and 300 Savage cartridges. The M81 was an improved version of the original M8 and started production in the late 1940's. I plan on deer hunting with my M81 300 Savage this fall along with my grand daughter who will be using her new/old Model 722 Remington bolt rifle in the same cartridge.